L4150DT Bevel Gear Repair

/ L4150DT Bevel Gear Repair #1  

nightowl490

Bronze Member
Tractor
L4150DT
Here goes nothing! Riding down the road (enjoying the warm IL March) 2WD in high gear, 1/3rd Throttle, on my way to by buddy's shop for some minor FEL loader welding. I look down to the right front bevel area and see 90W pouring out into the inner rim. I pull off, lift front of tractor up with FEL and take a look. There is a hole, little bit bigger than a pinhole in the lower CAP of the bevel gear houseing. Only being about 1/4 mile from my shop I creep back at idle and park in shop. Pull wheel and look again. There was a peice of metal protruding out of the cap at the hole and the cap itself was dented out with dimples :ashamed: uh oh. I take pliers and remove metal peice and more oil. After looking it over I pull off the cap, inside of cap is serious metal shavings and all my needle bearings. I assume needle bearing came from the one listed in my parts manual. I go ahead and remove the hub (knowing it will need flushed) to expose the planetary to see more shaveings. Grabbing the bottom bevel gear there is considerable play/slop and the bevel houseing itself is slightly (wollered) where it slapped the housing for how knows how long:confused:. Pull off the top of the bevel and reveals plenty of grease and no slap at top of bevel shaft, thank goodness.

So here I sit with multiple copies and zoomed copies of the bevel gear shaft, front axle and front axle case in front of me and a pen and paper with part numbers. I plan on documenting this event with many pics and many reviews as well as findings.

It should be noted there were no symptoms/signs I felt or saw (oil leak) to pre-empt this event. ANY THOUGHTS SO FAR?

/ L4150DT Bevel Gear Repair #2  
Here goes nothing! Riding down the road (enjoying the warm IL March) 2WD in high gear, 1/3rd Throttle, on my way to by buddy's shop for some minor FEL loader welding. I look down to the right front bevel area and see 90W pouring out into the inner rim. I pull off, lift front of tractor up with FEL and take a look. There is a hole, little bit bigger than a pinhole in the lower CAP of the bevel gear houseing. Only being about 1/4 mile from my shop I creep back at idle and park in shop. Pull wheel and look again. There was a peice of metal protruding out of the cap at the hole and the cap itself was dented out with dimples :ashamed: uh oh. I take pliers and remove metal peice and more oil. After looking it over I pull off the cap, inside of cap is serious metal shavings and all my needle bearings. I assume needle bearing came from the one listed in my parts manual. I go ahead and remove the hub (knowing it will need flushed) to expose the planetary to see more shaveings. Grabbing the bottom bevel gear there is considerable play/slop and the bevel houseing itself is slightly (wollered) where it slapped the housing for how knows how long:confused:. Pull off the top of the bevel and reveals plenty of grease and no slap at top of bevel shaft, thank goodness.

So here I sit with multiple copies and zoomed copies of the bevel gear shaft, front axle and front axle case in front of me and a pen and paper with part numbers. I plan on documenting this event with many pics and many reviews as well as findings.

It should be noted there were no symptoms/signs I felt or saw (oil leak) to pre-empt this event. ANY THOUGHTS SO FAR?

Been there, done that. My 4150 blew the front casting apart the first time. Something broke internally, wedged into the gears and snapped the cast case. "bota dealer rebuilt it for me. Got it back, ran it for a couple hours and it started to squeak. Found that they had failed to fill the lower unit, only the trans axle had oil.:mad: Took it back, supposedly they fixed it.

Last summer (3 years later) oil appeared on the rim. Same deal, bearing had dissinigrated and poked holes in that pressed in cap. Had my mechanic tear it apart in my garage and helped him replace all the bearings. Not a bad job to do, a little complicated getting it all apart, but doable.

Good luck.