Transmission hydraulic fluid change

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
The time had come to change the transmission hydraulic fluid on my Kubota L3000DT. I stopped at the nearest Kubota dealer to check out the price of UDT, which is what my manual suggested. There was a slight degree of sticker shock when the parts attendant told me a 5 gallon pail was going for $75.00 and change.

I did some searching and found an oil made called Ultra Trans 245 made by (sp) Amailee at a local auto parts store that meets the specs for UDT and Super UDT Kubota oil. After my discount a five gallon pail costs about 40% less than the Kubota UDT. I needed two 5 gallon pails to change the transmission and front differential fluids so the savings were significant.

On this particular tractor there is a screen type filter inside the rear end housing which all the hydraulic oil has to pass through. The manual tells you to remove and clean the metal shavings from the filter element . Well, I was shocked to see how many little metal particles where stuck in that filter. I bet the filter was over 50% blocked with these particles.

After putting everything back together I could notice a difference in the speed of the hydraulics. I was a few hours over the 400 hour mark when I changed my oil and thought it may have been unnecessary, but not any more.

It would be nice if there was an external filter system that could be changed a little more frequently.

Randy

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #2  
The newer models use an external filter, like, an oil filter.
Glad you're up and running again at full spee! :thumbsup:

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #3  
What are you using for the front axle? I recently changed mine and used 5qts of 90w gear oil from the local auto parts store for about $25. Enjoy!!!

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change
What are you using for the front axle? I recently changed mine and used 5qts of 90w gear oil from the local auto parts store for about $25. Enjoy!!!

The front differential originally came filled with Kubota UDT. I have been using the same fluid but did notice that 90W gear oil can be used instead. I use the tractor in the winter to keep the driveway clear of snow and it can get cold here in New Hampshire so I have stayed away from the thicker gear oil.

Randy

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #5  
On my BX24 I have both the external hydraulic transmission oil filter and the screen type that should be cleaned every time the hydraulic fluid it changed.

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #6  
If it is a gear transmission the UDT or Super UDT is not as critical, where the Super is really needed is colder areas with HST or GST transmissions.

David Kb7uns

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #8  
Good morning. I started draining all the fluids on my 2002 kubota l3000dt with lb402loader which is hydaulicly plumbed from behind the seat. My question is later today i plan on replacing the fluids and i am confused by the manual. The manual states that there are two fill points, one directly over the transmission and the second behind the seat, which i have found both, but the manual does not differentiate how much fluid goes in each compartment, it states roughly 7.4 gallons total. Can someone please elaborate on how much the trani case takes and how much the hydro reservoir takes?
Or am i misunderstanding this? Do i only need to add hydro oil to behind the seat and from there the trani case also receives the oil???

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #9  
I suspect that what you have is two places to fill a single bearing compartment that shares oil with your transmission, final drive, PTO and hydraulic system.
So you'd be correct that:
... i only need to add hydro oil to behind the seat and from there the trani case also receives the oil???
That's how all of our machines are configured.

/ Transmission hydraulic fluid change #10  
Baby Grand has it right. There are usually a couple of fill point for the single hydraulic reservoir. Use the one that is easiest to access with your fill method.

Similarly, there are multiple drain points on most tractors. However, I would suggest opening all drain points to ensure the old oil is removed along with the gunk that sits on the bottom of the case.

Especially look for drain points for the wet brakes if so equipped.