Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL

Default Tubes in tires

being a fairly new tractor person thats still learning, whats the pros/cons of putting tubes in tires verses not?
    Kubota L2800DT, 4wd, Kubota FEL, Armstrong Ag 6' box blade, Howse 6' mower, Armstrong Ag 6' disk, Leinbach 6' rake

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Default Re: Tubes in tires

Firstly, I think the rim will determine whether tubeless tyres can be used.

A few thoughts in favours of tubes vs tubeless:

1) you can fill tubes with sealant (e.g. OKO) that will seal over smaller punctures

2) if you fill tyre with a water-based weighting compound tubes protect rims against rust

3) if you fit a kevlar tyre liner (again to reduce punctures) the tube holds it in place against the tyre.

I am sure someone will tell you loads of things in favour of tubeless.

J

Tractor
    Kubota B1550HSD

A tubeless tyre usually deflates slowly and can often be refilled with air or easily repaired with a plug without removing the tyre. A tubed tyre will often deflate very rapidly and often cannot be reinflated without removing the tyre and repairing the tube. So basically a puncture in a tubed tyre is more likely to leave you stranded somewhere.

TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Tractor
    B2650 F3080 ZD326 Z122r RTV1140

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth in Texas View Post
    being a fairly new tractor person thats still learning, whats the pros/cons of putting tubes in tires verses not?
    If you have a tubeless tire that is holding air, then leave it alone. If you have a tubeless tire that won't hold air, then put a tube in it if the valve stem is OK and not the source of air loss. I had a none filled front tire that kept leaking air. I put a tube in it and it stopped leaking air and was never a problem.i
    2016 B2650 FEL, 2015 ZD326rp 60" rear Discharge Deck, 2012 F3080 4WD 72" rear discharge deck ,2015 Z122r, 2010/2009 RTV1140CPX , RatchetRake, BB, 50" Tiller, Front Backhoe, Snow plow,Forks, .. and Horse Drawn disk 13 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 17 Cadillac XT5. 2014 SLK250

Over time I've put tubes in every tire you see in my av...couldn't be happier.

I dunno why but tubeless tires don't hold up for the test of time on off road vehicles...at least with us they don't.
    Kubota B1750 with chains on all 4 turf tires. CC1440 & GT2550

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B26 and a G1800

I have a G1800 and I've tubed all the tires. Although the tires aren't worn, exposure to the sun had degraded the rubber over the years so I was getting slow leaks. Since the tread was still good, and it's a low speed application, I decided to insert tubes. I haven't had a leak since then and I'm really happy with the outcome.

I may do the same to the front tires on my B26. The bead on left front tire has broken twice, likely from a combination of low tire pressure and the turning force on the tire when manouvering on soft ground. I'm now keeping a close eye on the tire pressure and I've been lucky the rim wasn't damaged. The tractor is so powerful that unless you actually see the deflated tire it isn't immediately obvious it's flat.

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

I agree with what was said. If it's not leaking, leave it alone. If you have a leak that you can't stop, then put in a tube.

But if you get a flat with a tube, it won't be as easy to fix. You can't plug a leak in a tube, it has to be taken apart and fixed. NOT a simple task with larger tractor tires!

Ken