B 2100 - Bevel Gear Case Oil Leak

/ B 2100 - Bevel Gear Case Oil Leak #1  

KuboB1200

Gotta leaking oil seal on my left front bevel gear case. Oil seeps and drips down onto the inside of the left front tire while she's sitting.

I'm getting ready to replace the oil seal/change the front axle oil and would like to solicit any advice about the process.

From the looks of things in the shop manual, it looks like I need to remove the left bevel case from the axle case, remove knuckle arm, axle flange mounting bolts, external snap ring, remove the bevel gear case from the front gear case, remove the shaft and then the ball bearing.

My question is, do I really need to remove the bevel gear case from the front axle case in in order to get this seal replaced? The seal I'm after is one between the bevel and front gear cases, left side. It looks like I can get this by seperating the front gear case from the bevel case, while leaving the bevel case attached to the axle case.

Any takers?

Thanks, guys!

Kubo

Last edited:
   / B 2100 - Bevel Gear Case Oil Leak
I'll answer my own question. Follow the shop manual's instructions and remove the bevel gear case from the axle housing. It makes things much easier.

Pretty straight forward, with the only surprise being the old seal relenting and staying pressed in the casing. I didn't find any big issues with the front or bevel gear casings and no great wear. It must have just been time for a new seal.

My tractor has been running the gear oil (80-90W), rather than the SUDT in the front end and I've read the seals go quicker when using the gear oil rather than SUDT, but this most definitely was the first time the bevel case has been broke in two since new in 1995.

The first seal to go was on the left side, which lays right in line with the exhaust. The entire bevel case is covered with soot from years of blowing exhaust, so it makes sense that the exhaust may have played a part in this, especially the heat from summer mowing. In any case, my tractor was a very, very valuable asset this past winter; gaining almost 60 hours moving snow. I'm very glad to have it.

Seal replacement is straight forward and a definite DIY job. I had to run over to a friends place to borrow his bearing puller, but everything else worked out fine.

K