Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #1  

ky8t

Tractor
Kubota BX-2230
I used my BX2230 tractor for a couple of hours last week and stopped for lunch. When I returned from lunch, the starter wouldn't turn over. I have made sure the PTO is off, the seat goes all the way down, speed control is in neutral, and have jiggled the hydrostatic pedal. I have also cleaned the battery terminals and checked fuses. When the key is turn all the way clockwise, the dash lights dim, which indicates that there is a current draw. I have raised the seat, moved the speed control to neutral, pushed the hydrostatic pedal from neutral and turned on the PTO, none of which stops the extra current draw when the key is turned to start. I'm not sure it should behave that way, but I thought I'd try.

Something similar happened once before, but that time I already had it on the trailer to take it to the dealer for service when it balked. As I recall the tech told me that a connector, I think under the seat, was corroded or was not contacting properly. Unfortunately I did not get him to show me which one, but it sounds like a connector to one of the switches that prevents the engine from starting under certain circumstances.

Do anyone have a clue what might be wrong, or can anyone suggest something else to try. The machine is dead in the yard with the bucket down, which makes it hard to get on a trailer to take it to the dealer. Any suggestions on getting a dead tractor to the dealer would also be appreciated.

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #2  
If the battery is good and if the starter is good ...
You can start it if you momentarily jump from the large terminal to the small terminal on the starter. Have everything in neutral before starting. Key in the run position. KennyV

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #3  
Before you take it to the dealer, raise the seat and unplug and plug back in all of the connectors. If you find any other connectors that are safety connectors for any other controls on your tractor do the same thing to them. They can corrode inside the little plastic sleeves and be connected but not making a connection. Just try it, No charge if it works or doesn't work.

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #4  
I'd check all the safty switches and connections for sure, jumping the starter would confirm that it's ok but you want to be careful not to short anything else out while doing this.

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #5  
I agree- check the seat switches over again. jumper them while they are out as a test. Does anything come on when you turn the key ? hear the pump ? reason I asked is maybe the switch is bad.

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #6  
I have to figure that by now you have established that it is either :
1. Bad battery.
2. Bad starter.
3. Switch(s) or wiring.

if not...
1. You can jump start with a known good battery.
2. Jumper the small terminal to large terminal, on starter.
3. Back track through wiring & switches.

Post back with your findings, good hunting. KennyV.

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #7  
Check your PTO lever make sure its making good contact with the ssafety switch. Those little buggers hava a tendency to move so even when the lever is off it still doesn't make contact

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over #8  
This raises a semi-related question for me, maybe not helpful to the OP, but I have wondered about this.

I rarely use my glow plugs before starting. When I turn the switch past the glow plug position to start, are the glow plugs energized when cranking?

:confused3:

/ Troubleshooting Help on Kubota BX2230 - Starter Won't Turn Over
Found the problem. It was the plug that connects to the speed lever safety switch, and as I had recalled from the previous trip to the dealer it was under the seat (right side, gray plug - hard to access). A landscaper who recently did some work for me came over and found the problem for me. I now know which plug is the problem and where it is located.

Would filling the plug with non conductive silicone fix the problem?

Thanks for the advice everyone.