A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #11  
The sight glass for the condenser was initially full of bubbles, then quickly totally empties, to colorless and transparent, so according to the book I need more R134a. Now, that being discovered, the book does not go on to say where to add the R134a. I found what looked like two suspects. There is a line from the sight glass that runs to what appears to be the motor for the air conditioning on top of the engine, it has a cap that says L, then there is another line coming from there and appears to go to the cab and it is marked H. Both have little plastic caps on them and both look like a recepticle for receiving. First, which line do I use to add the R134a, second what should the pressure be, the book doesn't say :confused:, it just says to take to your authorized Kubota dealer?:thumbsup:

There will be instructions on your kit, we put it in the L (low pressure) hose until the bubbles clear up. It is much better to be a little low than to overfill, so if I still have a bubble or two, I don't worry; don't want to damage the system. I am not a mechanic, but my brothers are and this is what they told me. You might want to do some Bing/Google research to verify my information. Naturally your engine will be running and AC operating.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years
I got a can of refrigerant. Can said to attach with engine running to check pressure. Mine was severly low, down around 15. I added the refrigerant while the enginine was running and while it was off, not sure which is correct. However, Now the compressor runs and stops, via what appears to be an automated fly wheel. It did not do that before. My levels should be between 35 and 40. Howeve, After adding the can the levels are more like between 25 and 30, guess I need more, and I am assuming that I do this while the engine is running, the can was not real clear on this. Also, I did notice that the clear eye, in the front of the engine, now is a sold dark color, where as before it was clear and I could see clear to the bottom.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #13  
The engine/AC will need to be running with refrigerant flowing or you won't be able to view the flow and bubbles and it won't take in fluid as it should. When working properly, your compressor will be cycling. Sounds as though you are well on your way to having AC.

Do you add the refrigerant while the engine is running?

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #15  
Yes,you must have the engine running with the air conditioning ON in iorder
to fill it properly.

Ok, Thank you everyone. I have learned quite a bit these last few days, One more can of Cooland and I,m just about ready to crank up the AC and mow, hopefully not for a while yet, but good to know I can charge the AC instead of having to take it to the shop at $73.00 per hr. Todays $22.00 can of refirgerant would have cost $100 at the shop.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #17  
Keep in mind the beating these little ac units take on a weekly basis, its amazing that they work as well as they do?

In the summer months I mow 14 hours a week and the AC is on 14 hours a week. By end end of last summer it was getting a bit warm in the cab, wish I had posted the question last year, but im ready for this year:D.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #19  
Glad you got it figured out, yes it saves a lot being able to do it on your own. If it continues to leak down, you can get a dye to add which will reveal where your leak is. My brother has a "sniffer", but they cost $$$$$$$$. When I spoke with my Kubota dealer, he said it was not unusual for them to need a little refrigerant once a year or so. That seems like too often to me, but that has been the way it has been with my cabbed tractors; not that they all do this.