A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #1  

BizDoc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Has anyone added their own refrigerant to the AC system in their B3030 or is this something better left to the shop to do? I have no pressure gauges if they are needed. Is it normal to need refrigerant after 2 years. I noticed last year that the air was just moving around and not cold.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #2  
You can buy a can of refrigerant with a guage on it....... that would be my first try. You should probably think about finding the leak though.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #3  
First be sure that the air is flowing good in the front of the radiator.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #4  
Check the a/c air filter and condenser and make sure both are clean. My prior JD 3720 cab required a little refrigerant after couple of years. Used a can that came with a gauge. Very easy to do.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #5  
With the AC turned on,lift the hood and see if the AC compressor clutch is engaged with the engine running.If it's engaged look in the window of the receiver-dryer for bubbles(it's in your cab manual)which indicate low refridgerent level.If the clutch is not engaged,most likely the system is too low to work,indicating a leak for sure with a 2 year old tractor.Newer systems lose very little if any gas.If your system is empty,you could get one of those charging kits to charge it back up,or even add R134a gas with leak detector dye to help find the leak.Proper AC repair for a leak down situation would be repair the leak,evacuate the system with a vacuum pump,and recharge.Keep us posted and good luck!
I do have the WSM for the cab if you need more info.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #6  
I had the same problem with my Grand L and found the unit in the roof (can't remember if this is the evaporator or condensor) was plugged with dirt/dust.
I wouldn't have thought this was the problem as I use the recirc mode but it was nearly plugged soild. It required removing the roof and the cover off the unit and blowing it out and then thngs were back to cold again.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #7  
fegarex-- that was the condenser. Its job is to take the heat that the refrigerant gas has picked up in your cab, and reject it to the outside air. If it's plugged, no heat rejection. No heat rejection, no heat pick-up in cab either... no cold air.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years
You guys are starting to get me concerned :confused2:. I was hoping for a can of refrigerant and done.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years #9  
You guys are starting to get me concerned :confused2:. I was hoping for a can of refrigerant and done.

We have to shoot a can of refrigerant into our Case every year or so, it is so easy my wife can do it. I would try that first as no older than your tractor is I don't believe you would need to worry about your roof assembly. I can't add to the excellent advice already given.

/ A/C isn't cold in B3030 after 2 years
The sight glass for the condenser was initially full of bubbles, then quickly totally empties, to colorless and transparent, so according to the book I need more R134a. Now, that being discovered, the book does not go on to say where to add the R134a. I found what looked like two suspects. There is a line from the sight glass that runs to what appears to be the motor for the air conditioning on top of the engine, it has a cap that says L, then there is another line coming from there and appears to go to the cab and it is marked H. Both have little plastic caps on them and both look like a recepticle for receiving. First, which line do I use to add the R134a, second what should the pressure be, the book doesn't say :confused:, it just says to take to your authorized Kubota dealer?:thumbsup: