BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Hi everyone. My BX23 was serviced in the late fall and was running great. Used it during our last big snow storm in December and it sat for most of the winter. The BX23 starts right up and runs strong, except when I start to move it over a certain speed it stalls. So, if I creep along it will move and run, but after a certain unacceptable speed, it tries to quit, so I let up on the gas so it doesn't stall out.

I called the dealer and was told it may be the heads are dirty from sitting most of the winter. I was told to get a diesel cleaner for the gas tank, which I did and put in mostly clean diesel and nothing has changed.

Is there a safety switch besides the safety switch that's under the seat preventing a certain speed? Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks in advance and hope your having good seat time with this warm weather.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #2  
sounds like a weak feul supply. have you changed both filters ? It might be plugging up. At first I thought it would be the seat switch- jumpering them out as a quick test is a good way to tell, but yours sounds like a diesel supply issue. water in diesel? gas in diesel? plugged filter? what happens if you rev up the throttle ? Are you sure the brake pedal is off?

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #3  
I agree with Radioman it sounds like a fuel restriction. Probably a fuel filter change them both again(there are 2 filters).

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #4  
The Primary fuel filter is clogged. That is the first one in the line. The secondary filter is actually designed to be a back up. Simple fix

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving
The BX23 starts and runs full trottle nice and smooth and there is no interuption or stuttering with the engine. I can use the BH or FEL as long as I do not go over a certain speed. The Kubuta dies when I press on the foot petal and give I give it too much speed.
I I keep my foot on the gas peddle like I'm pressing on an egg, the BX23 runs fine. Again I can run full trottle and it is not until I move the BX23 does it quit.

Just had a full service with all new fuel filters so I doubt it the fuel filters. Just replaced the button seat switch and I am noticing another switch under the seat with a white thin pastic piece attached to it and I'm wondering if this second switch is causing the problem.

Any more thoughts would be appreaciated.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #6  
Is there any chance that the parking brake is stuck on?

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #7  
Filter may have been changed recently but itdoesn't mean something got into your diesel and plugged up the new filter. Any chance that you hydro filter clogged??

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #8  
The BX23 starts and runs full trottle nice and smooth and there is no interuption or stuttering with the engine. I can use the BH or FEL as long as I do not go over a certain speed. The Kubuta dies when I press on the foot petal and give I give it too much speed.
I I keep my foot on the gas peddle like I'm pressing on an egg, the BX23 runs fine. Again I can run full trottle and it is not until I move the BX23 does it quit.

Just had a full service with all new fuel filters so I doubt it the fuel filters. Just replaced the button seat switch and I am noticing another switch under the seat with a white thin pastic piece attached to it and I'm wondering if this second switch is causing the problem.

Any more thoughts would be appreaciated.

How about a safety switch in the seat or something like that. Whenever I press on the hydro peddle to go and am not seated on the seat, mine will stall out.

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #9  
Safety switches don't care about engine rpm or load, they'll kill an engine at idle as well as WOT if they are tripped.

Your symtoms sound like a fuel delivery problem. As the load/rpm increases you need more fuel flow and it would appear your engine is not getting it.
Fuel that has sat awhile that may have had a trace of contaminate will multiply and settle in the fuel systems low places, just where the fuel needs to flow through....

Probable causes are:
1) contaminated fuel
Water, fungus, bacteria, wax etc., can clog a brand new filter in no time.
A partially clogged filter gives symtoms just like the OP reports...
Change the filters out 1st and add a fuel treatment to a tank of fuel.
May take several treatments to clear problem.

2) clogged fuel tank outlet. If changeing the filters out doesn't help there may be a contaminate clogging the fuel tank outlet. In a BX this is a very hard to get at place... About the only way to clear it and break it up is to take an airgun, open the line at the 1st fuel filter and blow back towards the tank. Then treat the fuel with fuel treatment as the contaminate will still be in thank.
With the contaminate broke up it should allow flow but your new filter will probably clog, meaning another filter change.

It's not unusual to have to do multiple fuel treatments as well as several filter changes before the problem is cleared.

To avoid these types of problems, purchase fuel from places that sell alot of diesel fuel and if the tractor sits alot, add fuel treatment to the fuel.
Good luck

/ BX23 - Starts right up - stalls when moving #10  
I agree, change the filters. BX's have small filters so it doesn't take much to clog them. Maybe the end loader and back hoe work, but is there a load on them? My bet is if you actually used them to dig, it would also stall the engine.