M59 in the snow

/ M59 in the snow #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
After getting the M59 for general work around our property the next step was to figure out some sort of improved snow removal scheme. For years we've plowed out the access roads with an old JD ag tractor and a great big back blade. The M59 also comes with a category II three point - which I've not mounted yet -and would probably be capable of handling that much back blade.

But right now the old JD tractor and back blade works OK, but it is an awkward & uncomfortable rig. I'm gettting older and anymore don't look forward to spending an afternoon half twisted in the seat looking back at the three point.

After getting th M59 we looked at lots of different snow removal attachments; so many that we ended up not getting buying one at all. Oh well, we figured that given the M59's big bucket if we just bought a set of front chains that would do enough of the job to tide things over until we could decide on snow blowers.

As it turns out, we didn't even mount the chains in the last two winters....though I probably should have as there's been some tire spinning. But basically the M59 is heavy enough and powerful enough to push a lot of snow with the bucket. It's usable even without chains on. With chains, the standard bucket would probably be enough all by itself. I may not add another snow attachment after all. Certainly I'm no longer planning to do anything that involves removing the QD backhoe.
rScotty