L2800 L3400 3ph question...

/ L2800 L3400 3ph question... #1  

teg

Tractor
s
I just "picked up" a used finishing mower... since I really actually *had* to pick it up since the 3ph on the guy's L3400 would not lift it. I looked up the weight, 588 lbs. It was out on a boompole. I have an L2800 with a boompole that lifts (quite often) a King Kutter II tiller at 690 lbs with no problem. I was hoping that we might help the guy figure out why... on the way home thought about the cracked return hose, would that cause problems with the 3ph lift capacity?

Some background information, the guy bought the tractor used, 2005-ish model, NO FEL, gear, old jerky as heck 3ph - suspension seat was total locked up so I was going to send him a link to that, too. I attached photos of the mower since I think there's an unwritten TBN law that you have to post photos so people will answer your questions :laughing:.

/ L2800 L3400 3ph question... #2  
Since you posted pictures, I'll give my thoughts...
Whenever you have hydraulic performance questions, you should start with checking the available pressure the system has to work with... then look at other contributing problems like fluid types, internal leaking, and other things ...
Finish mowers are great BTW...

/ L2800 L3400 3ph question...
With a FEL it's somewhat easy to check pressure but without that, how would you check the pressure? I don't think there is a place externally to "T" in a gauge. How would kubota set the pressure (does someone have a manual??)

I bought it pretty late last night. I didn't really look at it very well but could tell that it was not used a lot and was well taken care of. I did look at it today and for $750 I'm happy with the deal (the blades are still very sharp and not many hours on the unit). It's much BIGGER in the daylight and I'll see how my tractor does with unloading it. :eek: (but that will be 2 weeks away) It does look pretty heavy duty.

/ L2800 L3400 3ph question... #4  
Teg---

it's been awhile-- I hope all is well!..

A couple of thoughts----
On my 3400, I had a problem lifting my BB a few weeks ago... It was full of MUD... Not sure how much that weighed but--- boy it was heavy--- and stopped me in my tracks with all 4 wheels spinning....

anyway-- when I adjusted my 3PH speed knob.. it lifted slowly.......

then last week I changed all my HST filters and oil and oil filter..

over the weekend I did the same old road cleanup.. (old retired driveway that has become an ATV trail to truly enjoy)

and what do you know, same amount of mud and same amount of traction loss..
and up up and away came the 3PH...

Moral of the story---
-- I think the HST filters were somewhat restricted... (200 hours and 2 winters-- and lots and lots of snow-not sure why that matters but what the hey!) and I think that the 3ph knob had something to do with...

now-- that one hose is also a good possibility....

J

/ L2800 L3400 3ph question...
Hey RadarTech, been doing well, finally (after 3 months of snow/rain) got up to the farm to cut the fields and tilling the garden spots. A fun 10 hours on the meter... :thumbsup:

The guy had the hose replaced (when the 3ph didn't work at all). That was done at a dealer. After I helped lift the mower up, the 3ph held it in place but we needed a couple more feet. He got a floor jack and I pumped it up as he was working the 3ph lever. Once high enough, I push the trailer under neath and hooked it to the truck.

Glad you mentioned about "adjusted my 3PH speed knob" since I went to lower the mower in the trailer... it didn't move. After turning the knob under the seat some, it finally dropped. He previously raised and lowered the 3ph with the mower hooked up the correct way (so I could see it run) but out on the end of a boom pole... there was not enough power.

I guess when I get up to the farm and unload it with my tractor, I'll see how it goes, it does look heavier then 588 lbs...

Edit, Wife wanted me to let you guys know that the finishing mower was actually her birthday present... I know, I'm such a nice husband for doing that *for* her. :laughing: (pretty sure the last gift I got her was a chipper / shreader:D) I think she needs a grapple next year... we'll see.:dance1:

Last edited:
   / L2800 L3400 3ph question... #6  
Teg,

I know the feeling about the snow...
We had, by my unscientific measurements, over 50 inches this winter!!

Tonight I clocked in about an hour to fix a "mud patch" down on the state road in front of the house...... 20 buckets of mud and I found gravel....
A few elderly neighbors have almost gotten stuck..

State told one of them they would be out sometime around next thursday...

Let us know how the wife's new attachement works...

later tater....

J