deere 2720 vs kubota 2630

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #1  

ipwanab

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3560
Hi all;
I am going to post this in both forums to get plenty of answers. I am narrowed to 2720 or 2630. If the deere had three speed hydro I would buy it. If the Kubota had a suspended mower I would buy that. I have had small deeres and kubotas and love both brands. No heartburn over manufacturer, they just don't have all the features I want on one machine. I have cut with RFM before and did not like it although it did cut well. I have cut with MMM and did like it but it was a suspended unit. I am afraid of both cutting with ground dragging MMM and cutting with suspended mower wide open to go 3 a 1/2 miles an hour. I am having trouble deciding. I also can't afford or don't want 3000 series deere or bigger or smaller Kubota- any input?

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #2  
Hi all;
I am going to post this in both forums to get plenty of answers. I am narrowed to 2720 or 2630. If the deere had three speed hydro I would buy it. If the Kubota had a suspended mower I would buy that. I have had small deeres and kubotas and love both brands. No heartburn over manufacturer, they just don't have all the features I want on one machine. I have cut with RFM before and did not like it although it did cut well. I have cut with MMM and did like it but it was a suspended unit. I am afraid of both cutting with ground dragging MMM and cutting with suspended mower wide open to go 3 a 1/2 miles an hour. I am having trouble deciding. I also can't afford or don't want 3000 series deere or bigger or smaller Kubota- any input?
Buy the Kubota, this is the Kubota forum.:)

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #3  
The Kubota 3 speed is worth more than any advantage the JD has. I have a B3030 and have a 60" MMM mower that I easily converted to a semi-suspended deck. I eliminated the two center wheels and use chains to hold the deck up. I fabricated some hooks and brackets under the frame to attach the chains to. See the pictures below.

The 3 speed HST allows me to mow in "M" range. AT WOT and full hydro pedal it is about 5 mph according to my GPS. It is the perfect speed when the ground is smooth. Very easy to hold the speed steady as all you have to do is push the pedal all the way down. The B2630 and B3030 also have the best power steering I have ever used. One finger steering in any conditions. Makes turning corners a breeze. I, too, have owned JDs and like them but, between the JD2520-2720 and the Kubota B2630-B3030 the Kubota is the clear winner IMO.

Since the pictures were taken I have removed the rear center wheels and the extra link on the chain. I adjust the chain length so that on a level surface the front wheels just barely touch the ground. That way they act as anti scalp wheels. I really like how much better the cut looks without the tracks the center wheels leave. That is the main reason I used the chains to carry the rear of the deck. If you get a 72" MMM then the standard wheels should be OK. Good luck.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 591
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 295
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 237
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 310
   / deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #4  
I couldnt even consider a tractor with a 2 speed hst. So the deere would be out for me but for you I dont know. Will it be used in varied terrain, lots of hills? I would suggest the kubota hands down if it wasnt for my recent warranty troubles with kubota. Its a good thing they dont break often and that I had a good dealer. Even with my MAJOR dislike of kubota's warranty department I just bought another new kubota because they simply are good machines. The dealer helped too so consider which dealer you would rather do business with too. Some are better than others.

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #5  
It would seem to me that a suspended deck has some disadvantages. If you're cross cutting on a hill and the deck is suspended, wouldn't the down hill side of the deck be high on the cut, and the uphill side of the deck be low on the cut?

On my JD 425 mower, if I set the cutting depth to high, the deck goes into semi-suspended state, and when I cross cut it has the effect mentioned above, giving the grass cut a terrible look. In those cases, I would much rather set the caster wheels on the cutting deck higher, let the cutting deck height be down to let the casters set the cutting height, and let the deck roll on the casters and follow the contours of the terrain, and have the grass evenly cut.

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630
Thanks guys for the tips. Toolguy you are doing what I considered but didn't really have any ideas on since I don't have a machine to experiment on. I wondered if the 3pt would raise the deck parallel to the ground and keep it's position but the chain idea is so elegantly simple. How do you like the 3030? I think the 2630 is the same with a smaller engine. I also am wrestling with r3 vs r4. I thought about turfs but they don't look to have as much meat on them as I had imagined, but yours look pretty substantial.I have been using a zd326 but can not afford both and need a front loader. I have two old barns to tear down and the cost to tear down and haul is so expensive I can buy the tractor and load 30 yard dumpsters and basically get the tractor out of the deal for even money.Your property is gorgeous.

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #7  
Have you looked at the B2X20 series. It does have the suspended deck which is drive over for ease in removal or reinstall process. Also has the 3 speed hst. A few less features than the 2630. The only one that would make much difference to me is the position control on the 2630 vs the 1/4" valve on the 2X20 but for me that is only an issue when I use the rough cut mower.

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #8  
Toolguy, share some more of your custom bagger and suspended MMM setup in another thread. I believe you've posted this info before but it never hurts to repost :D

ipwanab, I've read nothing but great reviews on the B2630, smooth engine, powerful hydraulics and comfortable to operate.
Good luck and enjoy the process. even if it takes several test drives :D
Dave

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #9  
I don't like my John Deere, but they are good tractors and the most widely owned in my area. My preference would be for the Kubota B 2630. I absolutely hate the 1/4 inching system, but prefer the suspended deck having owned and used both.

It would be a close call, but I don't care for the JD controls and my experience is that the steering on the Kubota is easier; both are good.

/ deere 2720 vs kubota 2630 #10  
Ipwanab,

It is easy to suspend the deck the way I did. I used inch and a half by 1/4 angle iron to make the brackets that bolt to the tractor frame. The holes in the frame were already there. I used 3/8" J-hooks from a hardware store and 5/16" chain. The chain is attached to the deck with 3/8" quick links. That is all it takes. Park on a hard level surface and adjust the chains to the height you want to cut. I set mine to 3 to 3 1/4" inches. I have used the chains for 4 full seasons and they have held up well. They do wear some so every year I re-adjust the hooks to take up the wear. The deck is built very heavy duty and does a great cutting job. I think you will really enjoy owning a B2630. I test drove one at the dealership where I bought my B3030. The B3030 never lacks for power. I am sure the B2630 has more than enough. I like the turf tires. They are more aggressive than one would think. Great traction on dry ground and snow.