BX24 wont start and wont shut off

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
As many on here know, my neighbor lost his shop in a fire and got a BX24 to replace his burned tractor. On occasions, ive borrowed the tractor to dig out stumps and such but the common problem ive had and many other people have had was the tractor is really hard to start. Switches, lights, and such work fine, just wont start, or even crank. One time i was messing with the switches and managed to start it up for some guys doing construction at the neighbor's place. Another thing, once it is trated, it wont turn off. Key off and it still runs. Neighbor just puts it at low throttle and pushes the pedal with the bucket down to kill it. Now I dont like being rough on machinery or seeing someone have to kill it to start it up. any ideas on what the problem is? could the battery be dead? I just want to figure out the problem and see what it takes to fix it for my neighbor.

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #2  
There should be a shut off solenoid on top of the engine on the left side looks gold in color if you are sitting on the seat see if that moves when the key is turned off. If not check all the fuses to see if they are blown or lose and take them out then put them back in after cleaning the contacts.If still no luck go back to solenoid and unplug it and get a test light and see if you get power on the harness side if you do get power for i think for 15 seconds and it goes off then your problem is the solenoid.I have been there mine was a loose fuse which is good considering that part is about 160.00 !!!!!!! Hope this helps a little

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #3  
Starting problem:

Smack the PTO clutch lever. Mine gives me grief too. Follow these steps.

1. Sit in seat.
2. Make sure transmission is in Neutral.
3. Cycle PTO clutch from engaged to disengaged.
4. Hold PTO clutch back in disengaged position.
5. Start tractor.

Stopping problem:

Fuel rack solenoid is hanging..?

Common issue: Yup, the battery could be bad. Jump start it and check the charging voltage to at least make sure that the alternator is doing its job.

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #4  
I have the BX23, so it might be different, but once I was trying to check out why my rear floodlight wasn't working, and while testing it I accidentally shorted it. When I went to start the tractor, it was hard to start, cranked much longer than usual. I went to shut it off, and it wouldn't stop. I had to block the air flow to shut it off. It was simply a blown fuse. Replaced it and everything was fine.

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #5  
My old JD 650 had a very similar problem years ago. Turned out to be the key switch assembly.:2cents:

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #6  
First of all- if the safety switches is working fine since if he gets off the seat and push the HST pedal and it shuts off fine, means the solenoid is fine. 2 possible problems left on the BX. The key ignition switch, or one of the fuses. the ignition switch seems to be a problem with the earlier models on BX's from corrsion, dampness issues.
I would check all fuses from the fuse box by battery. If they are ok, then replace the ignition switch due to unable to start, or stop at times.

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off #7  
Most of the fuses on the 23's are under the panel with the battery look for one that I blown there they are a atc type in a plastic holder.

tom

/ BX24 wont start and wont shut off
Hey, thanks for all the help, im gonna be down there tomarrow so when i get a chance, I'll check it out.