Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #161  
thanks bp, I think I'll do a complete oil change....I'll feel I've done a more complete job...thanks and goodnight....
Mark

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
thanks bp, I think I'll do a complete oil change....I'll feel I've done a more complete job...thanks and goodnight....
Mark
I'm a big advocate against doing the fluid at 50 since Kubota says it isn't needed but I'd for sure do it at the 300 for the same reasons BP gave.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #163  
I went ahead and did the 50 hour service on my BX2660 but really think it was a waste of money, resources, and a hold over from the old days. The filters and strainer should not be plugged up and the oil should not be worn out in fifty hours.
My new car/truck purchases in the last two or three decades did not require a break in service.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #164  
It may seem like a waste off time but I found that not so. On my BX25 I even changed the HYD oil as I lost 2-3 Qts cleaning the suction strainer and I was changing to the NAPA brand. In both the engine oil and the HYD oil I found at least a tablespoon full of loose black gritty residue in the strainer and in the filters which I cut open. I ignored the fuel filters (2) thinking the same as the last poster, at 300 hrs engine was starving for fuel and died. Pulled the first filter, almost totally plugged with black gunk I could not identify. I have always been careful when the fuel cap is open and even pump through a 5 micron filter so doubt it came from the fuel, but factory residue in the tank.

QA at the factories is probably hit and miss, also casting sand and machining processes always leave stuff in craks only operation works loose.

Ron

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #165  
I went ahead and did the 50 hour service on my BX2660 but really think it was a waste of money, resources, and a hold over from the old days. The filters and strainer should not be plugged up and the oil should not be worn out in fifty hours.
My new car/truck purchases in the last two or three decades did not require a break in service.

It may seem like a waste off time but I found that not so. On my BX25 I even changed the HYD oil as I lost 2-3 Qts cleaning the suction strainer and I was changing to the NAPA brand. In both the engine oil and the HYD oil I found at least a tablespoon full of loose black gritty residue in the strainer and in the filters which I cut open. I ignored the fuel filters (2) thinking the same as the last poster, at 300 hrs engine was starving for fuel and died. Pulled the first filter, almost totally plugged with black gunk I could not identify. I have always been careful when the fuel cap is open and even pump through a 5 micron filter so doubt it came from the fuel, but factory residue in the tank.

QA at the factories is probably hit and miss, also casting sand and machining processes always leave stuff in craks only operation works loose.

Ron

50 hour service. One is never going to know, I guess, just what things will look like when you pull the screen and change the fluids. I guess that's why there still is a 50 hour service. Some guys report this and some guys report that. Until you actually do the service, it's kind of a Forest Gump eats a box of chocolates deal. You never know what you're gonna get.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #166  
I have indicated in several posts about buying filters and lubricants from NAPA but never posted the part #s, so, here they are for the BX25, just bought a set today for my 1 year/400hr service.

Transmission/hydraulic 7088
Engine oil 1365
Fuel (takes 2) 3032
Air Cleaner 6449
I also buy Heavy Duty UDT #85-405 in gallon pails, DELO 400 15/40W motor oil in the 4 gallon case, and 90W gearlube there.

They are very good on discounts with 3 levels: Senior- Military- and Fleet. They always check on the best of each for me as the % varies by product. Filters are 40%, the UDT is 25%. Always ask. Farmers get the fleet at my store unless senior or military ID.

I always transfer the UDT with a pail pump (from HF) to avoid contamination. I use moly lube catriges from HF with their pnuematic grease gun.

Ron

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #167  
Pulled the first filter, almost totally plugged with black gunk I could not identify. I have always been careful when the fuel cap is open and even pump through a 5 micron filter so doubt it came from the fuel, but factory residue in the tank.
Ron

Ron -

Wonder if the gunk may have resulted from algae? When buying maintenance parts for my first diesel many years ago, I mentioned that since I wouldn't be putting a lot of hours on the tractor, I wasn't planning to change the fuel filter any time soon. The parts guy replied that I should change it every couple years anyway, in case there was any algae growth in the filter.

Thanks for mentioning the NAPA discounts. I'll keep that in mind in future visits.

Howard

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #168  
Ron -

Wonder if the gunk may have resulted from algae? When buying maintenance parts for my first diesel many years ago, I mentioned that since I wouldn't be putting a lot of hours on the tractor, I wasn't planning to change the fuel filter any time soon. The parts guy replied that I should change it every couple years anyway, in case there was any algae growth in the filter.

Thanks for mentioning the NAPA discounts. I'll keep that in mind in future visits.

Howard

Howard, I do not think it was algae. With 400 hours in one year there has been a pretty constant flow of fuel, not like the 20-5- hrs seat time for most casual users. Also it was gritty like sand.

Ron

Pictures but no video.

For the BX25 owner that's asking about the first service, that TripleR sent here. I now have a BX25 and it's the same as the BX2660.