Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
By they I mean Kubota. I agree, I'm not sure it makes that much difference where you live, you probably see less colder weather.

Nice photos BTW. It looks like you just put your ratchet rake on, it looks like some of the packing material is still on it.
Good eye. I did just put it on last Saturday and haven't had the time to "wear off" the packing tape but I will, hopefully next week if weather co operates. I've got jobs lined up to use it.

Hey John nice post and I am sure it is helpful to the new guys. I have a question on the BX1500 that you had that I now have did you service it yourself? Did you change out the HST Fluid and filters and if so did you use SUDT?
I'd hate to say I don't remember if I did it or not but I can say if it had over 50 hours on it, then I did it. I've never had dealer service any of my tractors. I believe the BX1500 had around 100 hours on it, didn't it? I have some old used oily filters here off of some I'd serviced but not sure which ones but again, be assured that I did that one if it had over 50 hours, full service with all fluids since that was the old recommendation. I think I did the BX2200, the B7800 and the BX1500 since I had them over 50 hours, some of the others I didn't because I didn't have them for the full 50 hours.:)

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #13  
I'd hate to say I don't remember if I did it or not but I can say if it had over 50 hours on it, then I did it. I've never had dealer service any of my tractors. I believe the BX1500 had around 100 hours on it, didn't it? I have some old used oily filters here off of some I'd serviced but not sure which ones but again, be assured that I did that one if it had over 50 hours, full service with all fluids since that was the old recommendation. I think I did the BX2200, the B7800 and the BX1500 since I had them over 50 hours, some of the others I didn't because I didn't have them for the full 50 hours.:)

I changed the engine oil and filter this fall and I looked at the HST fluid and it appeared to have a milky tint to it. I did a crackle test and it was moisture probably from sitting a lot in it earlier years.:D I changed it out and the filter as well and swapped out the suction screen(which was very clean). Its a great little machine that I use just for mowing. If I run across a front blade or FEL I will probably have to grab it for the little beast. Thanks for the info and as always good typing to you.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #14  
Hi John,
Thanks for the info and pics. I have to do my 50 hour changes in the next week or so and I have been worried about the hydro change. I really appreciate your posts.

I changed the engine oil and filter this fall and I looked at the HST fluid and it appeared to have a milky tint to it. I did a crackle test and it was moisture probably from sitting a lot in it earlier years.:D I changed it out and the filter as well and swapped out the suction screen(which was very clean). Its a great little machine that I use just for mowing. If I run across a front blade or FEL I will probably have to grab it for the little beast. Thanks for the info and as always good typing to you.
Oops! Forgot to answer SUDT question. Yes, I only use Kubota SUDT in my tractors.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #16  
Oops! Forgot to answer SUDT question. Yes, I only use Kubota SUDT in my tractors.

I opted for the SUDT as well. I may at some point look at a Synthetic.

Hi John,
Thanks for the info and pics. I have to do my 50 hour changes in the next week or so and I have been worried about the hydro change. I really appreciate your posts.
The hydro change is simple and easy. Go to it and enjoy it. If you have the brush guard on, it has to come off to slide the hood forward. Not sure hood sides even has to come off, maybe see if you can get your hands inside enough to remove filter with hood sides still on. Hood sides come off really easy if brush guard off or you don't have one. Two hand tight knobs loosen, not remove, just loosen and slide hood sides forward and that's it.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #18  
Good pix John, I can see why someone said it's easier with the LR wheel off. I have to do my 2230 in the next couple months and your pix were a lot of help. Thanks, T

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #19  
As far as oil types, my manual states to use SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40.
I use only 10W-30

But then again the manual states it takes 3.7 quarts when it actually takes 4,25 quarts

I changed my Oil and filters on my BX2660 a couple of days ago and took pictures. It's really a simple easy job. A little dirty but not bad. Soap or GO JO will clean the dirt off.
I know there will be some that say pay your local dealer your money to do this so they can stay in business and help the local economy but this is for those that don't want to do that and want to save their money to spend as they please with out saving their local dealer.
For safety, one should put blocks or something under their front tires but I didn't. If you have the brush guard, you have to remove the 4 bolts holding it on which is very obvious and easy to do so I won't cover that.
I removed the mowing deck which is a bit of tugging and grunting but also not rocket science. I should have turned the wheels on the deck to make it roll out easier but I didn't, I will when I reinstall it and ever do it again. The job can probably be done without removing the mowing deck but it is a very easy job with deck removed. Also with deck removed it's a very good time to grease all the fittings on the deck, check deck fluids and sharpen deck blades. I also discovered my deck was bent on one edge when new blades hit it. I got my giant water pump pliers and bent edge of deck back into proper shape. Don't know when or how I bent the deck.:confused: I have pictures of removing deck if anyone wants those posted.
First, have your fluids and filters handy. One transmission filter and one oil filter plus quarts of oil. If you have FEL, lift front off ground with FEL. If not then jack it up or do it over a ditch that you can crawl in to get under tractor.
Raise hood and remove engine shroud and loosen oil filler cap. Two reasons to get under it. One to remove bolt on bottom of oil pan (Have a catch pan for oil to drain into) and while your there turn around and remove transmission filter which will cause about a half a cup of fluid to run out. Have new filter beside you with seal on filter lubricated with fluid, oil or dielectric grease. Install new transmission filter. Place bolt back into bottom of oil pan and tighten.
Your now done under the tractor. Install drain catch pan under filter side and then remove filter off side of motor. Install new filter with lubricated ring seal. I hand tighten filters then turn them 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a filter wrench. My filter wrench is a cheapo that I've had for years and works on about any filter. Pull the spring ring, slip over end of filter and turn. Fill with oil, run a few minutes and then check and top off oil.
The transmission screen removal can be explained if anyone wants to hear/read about it.
I hate getting started on jobs like this and usually put it off as long as I can but when I get into it I sort of enjoy it and the satisfaction of a job completed and well done is very fulfilling and saves a few bucks to buy another tool or toy.
I also recommend everyone do this to familiarize them selves with their tractor and to see how easy it really is.

Edited in Paragraph form for Newbury. Is this better Newbury?
Newbury suggested I do this in paragraph form instead of my normal non stop typing mode. Edited it for easier reading. Thank you Newbury for your suggestion. I'm a hunt and pecker so I don't look at the screen when I type. I do it all then read and edit it. I think it looks better in paragraphs.:)