Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #191  
I may have this reply earlier in this thread, didn't look. You do not need to mess with hood to change the moil filter. Go to the auto parts store and get the three fingered filter wrench that fits to a 3/8 socket drive w/long extension. Piece of cake. I pulled the hood once in now 800 hrs and moved the fuel filter ahead of the injector pump to down under with the other one. Made a little bracket to mount up tight to the frame. Same hoses work, just reverse them. The hydro strainer creates its own problem. All the ideas in here should work. I just change the fluid each time anyway. That strainer is big so I think the manual schedule is an overkill. I changed the fluid at 50 and 100hrs, ready to do it again for the 800 hr. I change engine oil every 400 hrs also along with the filter.

Ron

Hey Ron, actually per your suggestion earlier, and the reason I removed the hood sides... was to look at the whole system and replumb the fuel filter to a more accessible location. :thumbsup:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #192  
Okay! Finished my 50 hr. Went pretty smooth but took awhile. Next time will be faster. My issues were:

Filter wrench wouldn't get small enough for oil filter. Solution: Went to NAPA and got a wrench cap and one for the transmission filter too. Went old school to get it off before purchasing them (one also for the transmission filter). Used the 'old screwdriver hammered into the filter trick' to get it off. Who has done this before on their care or whatever?

Had to drop the BroTek skid plates both mid and aft. That was easy but wrestling with them afterwards getting bolts to line up was a bit of a struggle. Next time I will do better. Did not remove them completely. Just the back end bolts for each and they rotated down enough to access filter.

Removed the left rear wheel for easier access. Pulled the transmission strainer out and had an assortment of tapered corks ready to plug it. Second try got it... almost lost the first one in the hole :eek: yes, lost some fluid but figured some refreshment of new oil couldn't hurt. Some fine shavings on filter but not much so I figured a complete flush was just a waste of money. Was thinking there might be more metal chips based on comments previously read on TBN. Here is a picture of the strainer... I hadn't seen any pics of this previously. I should have taken a before and after pic. This is after I cleaned it. Didn't bother to remove the drain plug.

Didn't spill but a few drops of engine oil but the transmission side was a little messy. Have a drop cloth under your large catch pan for the rest of the errant drops and runoff especially if you are trying to preserve your cement garage floor and have skid plate partially installed. The oil will catch on the skid plate and pour through the access holes when removing the filter. I got spots... oh well, it's a garage.

IMG_3350.jpg

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #193  
Removed the left rear wheel for easier access. Pulled the transmission strainer out and had an assortment of tapered corks ready to plug it. Second try got it... almost lost the first one in the hole :eek: yes, lost some fluid but figured some refreshment of new oil couldn't hurt. Some fine shavings on filter but not much so I figured a complete flush was just a waste of money.

Didn't spill but a few drops of engine oil but the transmission side was a little messy. Have a drop cloth under your large catch pan for the rest of the errant drops and runoff especially if you are trying to preserve your cement garage floor and have skid plate partially installed. The oil will catch on the skid plate and pour through the access holes when removing the filter. I got spots... oh well, it's a garage.

I'm sorry I'm a little slow this morning. Did you change the hydro fluid or just try to catch what leaked when you changed the filter and cleaned the strainer? I'll be looking at doing this in the fall so I'm learning from everyone else's experiences.

Must feel good to have this done and to have saved the dealer service charges. :)

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #194  
Vacuum cleaner on the fill port of the transmission and you will NOT spill a drop next time!:thumbsup:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #195  
I just changed the HST filter on my BX last night. Lost just what was in the filter and a little bit. I was worried at first about the Bxpanded skid plate coming off and going back on, but that took all of 15 seconds. I checked my plastic fan as well, all OK. Not bad for a mechanical klutz. My 50 hour is now history.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #196  
I have the following filters for sale if anyone is interested along with 2 gallons of super udt for local pick up ,could ship filters but not oil
please forgive me if this should be posted in the classifieds

2 - KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS PART #12581-43012

1- KUBOTA AIR FILTER PART # K1211-8230 25.00 for the 3 filters
10.00 for the 2 gallons super udt

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
I have the following filters for sale if anyone is interested along with 2 gallons of super udt for local pick up ,could ship filters but not oil
please forgive me if this should be posted in the classifieds

2 - KUBOTA FUEL FILTERS PART #12581-43012

1- KUBOTA AIR FILTER PART # K1211-8230 25.00 for the 3 filters
10.00 for the 2 gallons super udt

I think a very appropriate place/particular thread to place it.:thumbsup:

What model does these filters fit? May help to sell them better than just part numbers.

they fit a bx 24 I know that for sure, but will fit others too

Sure they will. Kubota uses the same filters on several different engines.