Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #241  
I do not know... But I expect the size of the shop vac does not much matter because the main diff between them is how much air they move rather then the vacuum that they will pull.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #242  
No need to use shop vac if your dumping fluid on purpose.

Gotta disagree!

If your pan is not large enough to hold all the oil a shop vac comes in handy!

Why don't you start a new thread titled to entice the shop vac users to post?

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #243  
Did my 50hr service a little while back on my BX2370. When I pulled the strainer I had #5 stopper ready to put in. Big problem...the #5 stopper was way too small. Put the strainer back in and tried the shop vac. It sucked....in a bad way. Sure there was no fluid leaking out, but the vac was sucking the fluid out. Took my stopper and wrapped it with rubber tape and was able to make it work. All in all I lost about a gallon of fluid. I need to find another stopper that is bigger for the next time.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #244  
Did my 50hr service a little while back on my BX2370. When I pulled the strainer I had #5 stopper ready to put in. Big problem...the #5 stopper was way too small. Put the strainer back in and tried the shop vac. It sucked....in a bad way. Sure there was no fluid leaking out, but the vac was sucking the fluid out. Took my stopper and wrapped it with rubber tape and was able to make it work. All in all I lost about a gallon of fluid. I need to find another stopper that is bigger for the next time.

I could be wrong but I think all BX HSTs are the same size. I think you may have gotten a smaller size rubber plug from the bin or it was mislabed. When I bought my #5 rubber stopper from Ace Hardware's bulk bin there were several different size plugs in the #5 cubby. I looked at the smaller #4 and larger #6 and deduced the right #5 size. If the tape works around the one you have - great. It's not a tool that get's much use anyway.
I haven't tried the shop vac method but next time don't put the hose end so far down the fill hole, or your vac is just too powerful.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #245  
I went back to the hardware store and looked to see if i had mistakenly picked up a smaller one. 5 was the largest they had and according to their labeling #5 is what I had. The tape worked ok, but still allowed some to seep out. As far as the shop vac, the hose wasn't down in the fill tube at all, just right at the top.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #246  
That's enough info for me - I'm not even gonna try the vac method now. Maybe just put another turn or 2 of tape on it and hope for the best.
Be careful when removing - sure don't want the tape getting stuck making you spill more.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #247  
I do not know... But I expect the size of the shop vac does not much matter because the main diff between them is how much air they move rather then the vacuum that they will pull.

I can't say I ever tried this, but you are right about the vacuum. A vacuum doesn't really pull anything, no matter the size. It is the air pressure rushing in to replace the void that makes things happen. The atmospheric pressure is all you have to work with and that averages about 14.7 lbs/sq inch if I recall. A bigger vacuum on the inlet hole won't affect it at all.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
Where are you experienced vacuum users?

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #249  
Cannot help you with the vacuum method, but I just dumped the HST fluid on my new BX2360. I had prepared cardboard for "the mess", but I gotta tell ya. Must be because I've done a few of these Kubotas over the years now? I don't know, but it was flat out the neatest job I've done. Piece of cake.

I just drained from the bottom plug. When my 2 gallon catch pan was getting full, I simply stuck the drain plug back into the stream and finger tightened it back up. Sure, my hand had a bit of fluid, but nothing bad at all. Rubber gloves or gas station cheapo plastic gloves would be just fine.

Brought my second drain pan into play and let the rest flow. Once done on the bottom, I moved back to do the screen, clean and re-install. Replaced the filter, took the bottom drain plug out one more time, just to catch the last of the dregs. Started refilling with the new SUDT-2. Ran the engine, then sloooooowly crept out to the drive to do some forward-reverse moves and worked the hydraulics and FEL. Gently crept back into the shop and topped off with maybe a pint. Done.

DSCF0076.jpgDSCF2383.JPG

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #250  
Where are you experienced vacuum users?

I am a vacuum guy!! Learned it about 20 years ago when I worked part time for a quick lube . If a car came in with a leaking drain plug, got out the vacuum and held it over the filler hole. NO MESS!!!
used the method on my bota also!