Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #31  
I think it must be a BX2660 thing when it come to the front grille guard. I had to remove mine from my BX2660 in order to remove the hood.

Not really, I can do it on my bx24 if I had girly hands! LOL

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #34  
Completed 50 hour service on my BX25 that arrived 4/2/2010. :thumbsup:
JT etal were a great help even though he was awol. :laughing: :laughing:
The screen cleaning was the biggest challenge. I did learn a #5 rubber stopper is better than the #4 I used. The #4 stopper almost disappeared inside at the point I was trying to stop the flow out. :eek:
Cleaning the screen raised a question. The service advice (Kubota, Messick's) states "Rinse strainer with nonflammable solvent to clean off filings" and my question is what SOLVENT should be used. Advice? :confused:
I did find filings on the scren and removed them but had no solvent. I did lose a lot of fluid but mainly because of my surprise at flow rate and slow reaction time. I suspect if I turned the screen 90 degrees as I removed it I may have slowed the fluid rush as the open hole in the assembly would be closed off a little.

Other than that, all went well! :thumbsup: Thanks JT, etal!

I did over fill the engine oil a bit as it was not clear to me when to stop pouring oil in. May just be my inexperience. :D THANK YOU ALL! :D

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #35  
Brake Kleen works well, as does soap and water, actually. Rinse completely and GENTLY blow it off with low pressure air or hair dryer at low setting. I'm not sure it matters a whole bunch as long as it clean and dry going back in.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #36  
Dores anybody know of a wright up like this for the B Series? Nice work! :thumbsup:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #37  
So what are the costs of materials for the 50 hour service to do yourself and what is the costs of the dealer does it?

I'm wondering if letting the dealer have at it during the warranty period is good due to finding other issues. For example, my post about the front axle fluid leak. Not real happy about this.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #38  
80% ?? of the guys here do it themselves, because it is cheaper, they are assured it is done right, by themselves, plus the guys enjoy doing it and getting to know their machine better.

A dealer's charge on that service has reported to be hundreds and hundreds of dollars!!! Labor plus, you'd still pay for the parts.

oil filter $6, Sudt $50-70, hydro filter $20. So, do it yourself for under a C note. Plus 3 quarts of engine oil, of your choice. It has been reported by some guys here that their dealer charged them as much $350-400. The choice is yours, but again, most guys do it themselves.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #39  
do it yourself save time money and the headache of moving it back and forth or having the dealer come pick it up

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #40  
Sitting on tractor, the rear tire behind you on left side. Look behind the tire down low and you will see this bolt. Above the bolt is a small bolt that takes a 12MM socket to remove. This small bolt is holding a small rectanguler flat plate that comes down and fits in a slot that holds the big bolt in place. Remove the small bolt and plate. Then grasp the big bolt and pull it out. I had to work mine out with the tip of a screw driver and then work it back and forth till it comes out. Could use big pliers. When it comes out it has the screen that looks like a cigar attached, all one piece. Your fluid will start coming out when this is most of the way out so have a tapered plug that's from 1/2" at smallest end up to at least 1" if your not replacing the hydraulic fluid and stick it in the hole. If your replacing hydraulic fluid, forget plug and let it flow into your catch pan unless you've already drained all of the hydraulic fluid. Wipe screen off and make sure nothing on it. If it's gunked up then clean it with gas or some other solvent. Pull stopper plug out of hole, if it's in, and stick the cigar back in the hole. Start keeper bolt with flat plate coming down and make sure the flat plate is in the slot, turn cigar bolt head if the flat plate isn't in the slot, tighten..... then tap cigar head with a hammer to make sure fully seated then finish tightening keeper bolt. Took some pictures of screen bolt and hope they help. I didn't take pictures the other day of screen because I was having to hold my to small plug in with one hand.:)

I had to laugh at myself this past weekend. I'm usually pretty good about checking out this forum prior to doing any work but somehow I missed this post. I had noticed that the screen was to be cleaned at the 50 hour mark as well as replacing the tranny filter and engine oil / filter. I figured, how hard is that? Anyway, I managed to get the engine oil changed with zero issues, I didn't even have to remove the cowling although that's probably a good idea so you can look for other "issues". The tranny filter came off easy enough with only a little trickle of fluid loss. Then I got to the screen... Let's just say it was a good thing that I had enough fluid to do a COMPLETE change. Having a cork of some type would have been very welcome. Oh well, at least I have FRESH fluid now... I'll pay more attention to the posts in the future.