cleaning/replacing hazard light switch

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #1  

jam2004

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
I'd like to clean/replace a stuck hazard light switch on my BX 2230. How do I access the switches? I'd rather not have to take it to a dealer for such a minor repair, but I will if it's something that's difficult to do.

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #2  
if the bx2230 is the same as 50 series, The easiest way to see everything is to remove the plastic panel. I would remove the vent screen, steering wheel, take 4 or 6 bolts that holds the plastic panel in place and then pull out. You should be able to see everything on the other side where hazard switch.

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #3  
I'd like to clean/replace a stuck hazard light switch on my BX 2230. How do I access the switches? I'd rather not have to take it to a dealer for such a minor repair, but I will if it's something that's difficult to do.

If you pull the lower dash screen, you can see all of the wiring and the back of the switch..Shouldn't be a big deal. Mine go off if when I wash it. i just pull the power wire for the night and all is good again..Would be nice if Kubota came out with a replacement that worked for this..it appears this has been a long term issue.

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #4  
The switches are easy to get out and service. Just remove the cover below the dash and push them out from below. With a little care, they can be disassembled and cleaned. I've had a couple of mine apart, blown them out and sprayed them with some WD40 and put them back together. The issue I've noticed is that they are not well weather sealed.

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #5  
Don't forget to disconnect your battery before poking around behind the dash!

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #6  
I replaced mine on the BX2230 and they were a little better than the old ones. After you remove switch by pushing the tabs together you can pop it apart carefully without loosing contacts and springs. I just put dielectric grease in mine so the water will not collect and short them out.

David Kb7uns

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch
Don't forget to disconnect your battery before poking around behind the dash!

Thanks everybody. I ordered a replacement switch today. Thanks for reminding me to discnx the battery.

/ cleaning/replacing hazard light switch #8  
It turns out to be quite easy...just did that! With a small fine tip screw driver gently pry the edges of the plastic and it'll pop right up. If you are careful the wires connected to the switch will come too...but if they slip off no big deal, take the intake screen cover underneath completely off to get access from underneath the dash. Very easy to re-attach. Now to test the connection by jumping the wires to see if the lights come on...if yes than its the switch...if nothing happens with key on (careful not to ground wires out to the frame) than it might be the fuse that is located right above the battery. The switch itself is easy to repair. On a clean surface gently pry the snaps that hold the two parts together...careful as you separate the top from the bottom as the parts inside come flying out pretty easily. Just don't loose em! Water gets down into contacts and needs to be removed and sanded lightly to clean with very fine grit sandpaper. Inside switch are only 3 parts,1. a fine spring that fits under under the 2.contact pin that fits into the top...and 3. the small copper rocker contact plate. Clean and dry the inside of the switch. Replace clean dry copper rocker plate...goes in only one way, bent side down toward the cleaned contact point carefull to mount the small wings onto braces inside switch...if you look closely at the switch you will figure it out. Put a little dielectric grease inside spring holder so that **** little rocker pin stays put as try to carefully snap the two parts together...actually...thats the tricky part!