3-Point Hitch Help! - operating 3 point hitch

/ Help! - operating 3 point hitch #1  

dixie

I purchased a used 2004 M5700 with 600 hours that came with a LA1002 FEL, and a M4711 backhoe. The previous owner never used the catll hitch just the front end loader and backhoe. The M4711 is frame mounted and has its own hydraulic pump that works off the pto. I plan on disconnecting the backhoe and install a three point hitch in order to connect my bush hog for mowing. With the backhoe still connected I tried lowering and raising the catll hitch arms with the position control lever but nothing happens when I operate the position control lever. I have the 3-point lowering speed knob set somewhere between fast and slow (per the owner痴 manual) and the engine at idle (approximately 1200 rpm). The catll arms remain in the upright position and do not move.

I have read some posts that talk about power beyond connections having to be connected (whatever that is), and also that the down travel may be gravity only and requires the 3 point hitch to have some weight on it. I am totally confused and would really appreciate a jack and jil version of what steps I need to take in order to get my catll hitch to work properly. I have read my owners manual and I think I have done what it says I need to do but still no luck.

I would be surprised to learn that the 3 point hitch is gravity only for down travel. I would hope to be able to exert down pressure on some implements that may be connected to the 3 point hitch from time to time.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Dixie

/ Help! - operating 3 point hitch #2  
VERY few 3PH's have downpressure, yours likely (I am 99.9% sure) does not. Main reason is traction-if you apply downpressure then you basically take weight off of the rear wheels and you loose traction. Weight added to the implement is the solution.

As far as your 3PH not moving, most likely it will work fine when the hoe is removed, a lot of models disable the 3PH while the hoe is mounted.

/ Help! - operating 3 point hitch #3  
listen to kennyv. I would like to add that on my kubota, when my BH is attached, the upper arms of 3 pt doesnt move down if I push on the down lever. I experiemented by taking BH off and have power beyond loop hose in place and try the same thing- there is not enough weight to move the upper arms down. After attaching the lower 3 pt arms, there is barely enough weight to move the upper arms down even with draft control open all the way.

So in short- don't worry too much about it. fudgitbout it :D. Once you get your lower arms connected, it should be normal. good luck :thumbsup:

/ Help! - operating 3 point hitch #4  
I know on my B2320, you have to lockout the 3PH control if you have the backhoe attached. If you try to operate the 3PH with the backhoe hooked up, you will split the BH valve! Be careful.

WB

/ Help! - operating 3 point hitch #5  
..... I am totally confused and would really appreciate a jack and jil version of what steps I need to take in order to get my catll hitch to work properly.......I would be surprised to learn that the 3 point hitch is gravity only for down travel. I would hope to be able to exert down pressure on some implements that may be connected to the 3 point hitch from time to time..........

Ok, here's the basic story. The M5700 (and many other tractors) has a hydraulic power source connection block located under the tractor. A pressure hose from this block runs to the loader control valve to provide power. Another hose runs from the control valve's "power beyond" port back down to a second port on the hydraulic block, to supply hydraulic pressure to the 3-point hitch.

When a backhoe is fitted the assumption is the 3-point hitch is not needed concurrently so the power-beyond hose gets plugged into the backhoe pipe instead, powering the backhoe. When you take off the backhoe, you'll want to re-connect the power-beyond hose to the hydraulic block so the 3-point becomes powered again. You'll find quick connectors for all this on the tractor.

All standard agricultural 3-point hitches have power up only, with gravity drop. The drop speed is controlled by a needle valve so a heavy implement has controlled lowering. Many hitches have draft control so ground-engaging implements take a constant-depth bite. When the front wheels climb over something, the hitch has to float up. Restraint (down pressure) isn't included or useful in the design. In fact, down pressure would be a safety hazard - the tail wheel on a rotary mower could dig in and lift the back of the tractor, possibly tipping it over and breaking Jack or Jill's crown. Hope this covers it. Take care, Dick B