Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I noticed the Owner's manual for my B2710 says the hydraulic strainer doesn't need to be cleaned until 300 hours, but the service manual says it should be cleaned at 50. Seems kind of lame that they can't get the two manuals to agree. Fortunately I never noticed what the service manual said, so I just cleaned it at 170 hours and I couldn't tell it had ever been used it was so clean. So for anyone worried about this sort of thing, I'd say don't bother with it until 300 hours.

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #2  
Unfortunately descrepancies like that are very common, and not at all limited to Kubota.

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #3  
Some hydro screens are spic N span, while others seem to be rather full of metallic slivers. There's just no way of knowing unless or until you pull it to inspect. Unless one has X-ray vision, that's what you gotta do.

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #4  
I noticed the Owner's manual for my B2710 says the hydraulic strainer doesn't need to be cleaned until 300 hours, but the service manual says it should be cleaned at 50. Seems kind of lame that they can't get the two manuals to agree. Fortunately I never noticed what the service manual said, so I just cleaned it at 170 hours and I couldn't tell it had ever been used it was so clean. So for anyone worried about this sort of thing, I'd say don't bother with it until 300 hours.
It should be done at 50 hours Not 170 or 300.
1 More Fluid chang in a 10 to 20 year life time of a tractor isn't exactly a financial disaster /

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #5  

Pop it and clean it..Along with the filter(s)...That stuff gets pretty messed up in the first 50 hrs...Who cares what the manual says when it comes to this?

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #6  
one cares because one may pull a stupid and pour the new fluid in and then realize that the manual says the strainer should be checked.

I checked mine at 160 hours, minimal shavings. But you're right, if you make it a part of your hydraulic service, then you shouldn't have any concerns.

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #7  
It should be done at 50 hours Not 170 or 300.
1 More Fluid chang in a 10 to 20 year life time of a tractor isn't exactly a financial disaster /

10 or 20 year life time...?! My B8200 was built in the late 80's, I think, and with 540 hours, regular maintenaince and storage in a barn, I figure it's good for another 15 at least. Looks and runs just like it did when I got it, almost 10 years ago.

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #8  
10 or 20 year life time...?! My B8200 was built in the late 80's, I think, and with 540 hours, regular maintenaince and storage in a barn, I figure it's good for another 15 at least. Looks and runs just like it did when I got it, almost 10 years ago.
Adding 15 years to the 20 years gives you a total of 35 years .
But my question still is will 1 more fluid and filter change over the 35 years break the bank for you or anybody else for that matter?

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #9  
I dont know about this tractor but on my 4610 the screen/strainer is easy to get at, and this step takes about 5 mins. if you are changing the fluids anyway.
These are expensive machines. Err on the safe side .. . sounds like some tractors have shavings at 50 hours, although mine was clean as a whistle at 50 and 300hrs.

/ Owners manual vs Service manual for strainer #10  
one cares because one may pull a stupid and pour the new fluid in and then realize that the manual says the strainer should be checked.

I checked mine at 160 hours, minimal shavings. But you're right, if you make it a part of your hydraulic service, then you shouldn't have any concerns.

The reason I say this is that these are expensive machines. Changing the fluids and filters along with cleaning the strainer is cheap insurance at 50 hrs. My RTV manual says change the filters only at 50 hrs...No way..This is a $20K machine. I'm changing everything.

On my BX, I changed everything at 50hrs, and did it again at 100, just to make sure that all the build debris was out. I've had a trouble free six years with it. Is that peace of mind worth $150 on a $19k machine...I think so...But to each his own. I'm not passing judgement on anyone.