Break in period

/ Break in period #1  

dirkster

I am waiting on the delivery on my new B2320. Is there anything I should or shouldn't do with my brand new machine?

/ Break in period #2  
First, congrats on the new machine!!! Good for you. That's a great model. I know you are going to enjoy it. Please post some pics when it comes. We want to see a dozen photos of it.:)

Every new owner wonders if there should be a whole lot of tender or gentle use involved. To be sure, you'll baby it a little, but gosh, you are going to simple go about using it for the chores intended. Push snow, perhaps, next winter, mow, if that's what you're gonna do, till the garden, or whatever.

Warm it up, first. That's a must, of course, but then just go do the work you want. The variety of tasks provide the tractor a variety of rpm runs.

The only thing to avoid, for 40-50 hours of break-in, is to run the tractor at exactly the same RPM mowing for hours and hours. Don't want to do that. No need for WOT either.

Also, if you plan to use the 4WD a bunch, you might do what so many good dealers recommend and drop the sudt fluid in the front axle and replace it with a quality gear oil, like a semi-syn 75w-90. Just a thought.

Other than that, don't run it with the ROPS up into the header of your garage, easy does it on hills, keep your loaded bucket low, and have some fun.

/ Break in period #3  
First, congrats on the new machine!!! Good for you. That's a great model. I know you are going to enjoy it. Please post some pics when it comes. We want to see a dozen photos of it.:)

Every new owner wonders if there should be a whole lot of tender or gentle use involved. To be sure, you'll baby it a little, but gosh, you are going to simple go about using it for the chores intended. Push snow, perhaps, next winter, mow, if that's what you're gonna do, till the garden, or whatever.

Warm it up, first. That's a must, of course, but then just go do the work you want. The variety of tasks provide the tractor a variety of rpm runs.

The only thing to avoid, for 40-50 hours of break-in, is to run the tractor at exactly the same RPM mowing for hours and hours. Don't want to do that. No need for WOT either.

Also, if you plan to use the 4WD a bunch, you might do what so many good dealers recommend and drop the sudt fluid in the front axle and replace it with a quality gear oil, like a semi-syn 75w-90. Just a thought.

Other than that, don't run it with the ROPS up into the header of your garage, easy does it on hills, keep your loaded bucket low, and have some fun.
BP forgot to tell you brakes going down hill aren't much so keep it in 4wd going down hill and wet grass going down hill can be a slippery eye opening experience. Have fun and enjoy, just be careful because a small mistake on a tractor can some times cause major pain.

/ Break in period #4  
What BP and John said, don't baby it and don't abuse it, just use it. Spend some time with your manual and get lots of seat time getting to know your tractor.

/ Break in period #5  
Check all of the fluid levels. It is common for something to be overlooked. Might even be a good idea to do this before leaving the lot or before the delivery guy leaves. If you are on a slope keep the FEL low to the ground to prevent a rollover and wear your seat belt.

/ Break in period
Thanks for all the info guys. I will be sure to check all fluids and watch it on my hills. How much fluid does the front axle hold?

/ Break in period #7  
Thanks for all the info guys. I will be sure to check all fluids and watch it on my hills. How much fluid does the front axle hold?

You can get it by the gallon at an AutoParts Store, WalMart, TSC, etc. Very affordable. Again, not a real big issue, especially if not in 4wd or heavy loader use, but just something to note. If and when you do change the front axle fluid, be sure to note the drawing in the manual. It will likely show two air vents, one on each side. Those release the air when draining/re-filling. Your manual will also state the amount. A gallon or two is typical.

/ Break in period #8  
Doing a search will bring up tons of information about break-in periods and procedures.

/ Break in period #9  
Just use it and change the fluids.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Break in period #10  
I think the break in period would be similar to any new engine. Vary RPM's, but don't let 'er rip at WOT. I remember when I bought my new Stihl 291 chainsaw from the dealer. It was over $500 and I asked him about the break in period for it. He came back with one of the best lines that I hadn't heard before. "Run it like you stole it!" :laughing: Yikes! Of course, I babied it like I plan to do with my new tractor when I finally purchase it in a few weeks. If you follow the OEM manual, you should be fine.