BX25 HST Fan Replacement

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #1  

dmacneil

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX25, BX42 Chipper, 54" Puma; White 20HP
Well now I'm thoroughly in a crap mood. Last weekend I shredded the HST fan on a branch. Figured this wouldn't be too bad to replace. Replacement fan is $11 from the dealer.. sweet. I'll have this done in an hour or two. Crawled under the bota and figured I'd have to disconnect the shaft, two nuts for the fan, bada ding bada boom... Bob's your uncle. Upon closer inspection... wait a sec... um the frame is in the way. Let me refer to the manual..... I have to do WHAT??!! Surely there is a short cut... TractorByNet here I come. No info on the BX25 from what I searched but the BX24: lots of info.. Crap crap and crap upon crap. I now realize this is going to be a long ordeal.

I suppose I'm venting here.. if anyone is interested I'll post on how dismantling the tractor to replace a $10 plastic part goes. Also, if anyone has any tips for this job specifically for the BX25 I'm all ears. (one more "CRAP!!" for the road)

(I don't think I have enough beer on hand for this job... sigh...)

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #2  
Sad to say this comes up all too often. There are old threads on here about replacement. Some simply split the collar on the fan and glue it back together over the shaft and put a nut on it. Good luck and get a set of Bro Tek or the upgraded HST fan protector.

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #3  
I can gaurantee you that you will go and get a skid plate or make one for it ASAP after you are done getting it back together.

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement
lol.. already thought about getting one before this even happened.. now I know - NEVER run over ANYTHING

Anybody know how to get the mowing height adjustment and 3PT hitch adjustment knobs off? I tried popping off one of decals, no nut or screw. I tried turning them pretty hard with no results, but don't want to force it too much. Ideas?

(down to 1 beer.. and still haven't got it all apart.. this could turn into a crisis...)

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #5  
lol.. already thought about getting one before this even happened.. now I know - NEVER run over ANYTHING

Anybody know how to get the mowing height adjustment and 3PT hitch adjustment knobs off? I tried popping off one of decals, no nut or screw. I tried turning them pretty hard with no results, but don't want to force it too much. Ideas?

(down to 1 beer.. and still haven't got it all apart.. this could turn into a crisis...)

On the BX2200, those two knobs pull straight off.

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #6  
mine are push ons too. just pull straight out.

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement
gotta love this site.. yep - had to pry them off.. thanks all

just when I think I'm going to get a break.. got the floor pan off, the ROPs, fender and even the old fan (cut it off).. figure I'd be able to disconnect the shaft from the engine and the tranny and be golden.. man.. I bet any who have tried (without reading) have been here before... now I'm debating whether to lift the engine or pull the whole rear end.. for those who don't know, there isn't enough room for the shaft to come off.. argh!!

(and I'm now out of beer... :()

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #8  
gotta love this site.. yep - had to pry them off.. thanks all

just when I think I'm going to get a break.. got the floor pan off, the ROPs, fender and even the old fan (cut it off).. figure I'd be able to disconnect the shaft from the engine and the tranny and be golden.. man.. I bet any who have tried (without reading) have been here before... now I'm debating whether to lift the engine or pull the whole rear end.. for those who don't know, there isn't enough room for the shaft to come off.. argh!!

(and I'm now out of beer... :()

After reading all the things with that fan on this site and finding that KTAC insurance covered it (minus the $250 deductible) I had the dealer do mine, but he stated that all he had to do was move the engine forward and that gave enough clearance for the new fan to go on. Rear end didn't have to come off at all but the front end had to come apart enough to get to the engine mounting bolts.

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #9  
Good luck with the fan replacement. Definitly not a user friendly replacement process. After reading the different threads on the HST fan weaknesss I waited weeks for my skid plates to come in from bro-tek before venturing out into my wooded back half. It would have been easier to quit drinking :laughing: than not being able to use the tractor back there but in the end I'm glad I waited. If you decide to purchase a skid plate I, like others, highly recomend the Bro-tek plates. Well made, easy to install, and the peace of mind has HUGH value!! The only thing I would have done different was use expedited shipping!!

/ BX25 HST Fan Replacement #10  
After reading all the things with that fan on this site and finding that KTAC insurance covered it (minus the $250 deductible) I had the dealer do mine, but he stated that all he had to do was move the engine forward and that gave enough clearance for the new fan to go on. Rear end didn't have to come off at all but the front end had to come apart enough to get to the engine mounting bolts.
So you had to pay $250 for the repair with the Kubota insurance?