Renting lawn care equipment

/ Renting lawn care equipment #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Hi all,
I have been looking around at rental shops here in northern Illinois for the following equipment to use with me BX1850 and have not been able to find a source. Can you rent this stuff in your area?

Question: How much weight can reallistically be carried on the 3PH. I know specs say 600+lbs but is this with or with out front weights?

3 pH mount garden tiller. Will rent tractor and tiller or 6' tillers nothing smaller other than walk behind unit.

Land scape rakes: have them for skid loaders but nothing to use behind CUT's

Lawn aerator: 6' 3 PH not sure of the weight of this unit but my BX might handle this. Could not find a pull type which really surprised me.

Lawn seeded: again had one for skid loader but nothing for CUT.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking these items should be available to rent?

TIA

Roy

/ Renting lawn care equipment #2  
Hi all,
I have been looking around at rental shops here in northern Illinois for the following equipment to use with me BX1850 and have not been able to find a source. Can you rent this stuff in your area?

My local dealer will rent certain items like PHD, etc.

Question: How much weight can reallistically be carried on the 3PH. I know specs say 600+lbs but is this with or with out front weights?

I'd say it depends on the leverage of the said implement. If you have a tiller that weights 600 lbs, then its fine. If you have a bush hog that sticks out 5-8 ft, it's so much easier with a FEL on and weight in bucket.

3 pH mount garden tiller. Will rent tractor and tiller or 6' tillers nothing smaller other than walk behind unit.
Don't know how to help you here- I have one and my fathers borrows mine.
Land scape rakes: have them for skid loaders but nothing to use behind CUT's
good question- I am not sure about that- I am still in middle of build of making a landscape rake using my backblade frame.
Lawn aerator: 6' 3 PH not sure of the weight of this unit but my BX might handle this. Could not find a pull type which really surprised me.
Is there any reason why you can't use a small pull type el cheapo aerator from box store? It just sits there 90% of the time of the year. That is what I am doing now- bought one from garage sale for 40 bucks that is under 4 ft wide.

Lawn seeded: again had one for skid loader but nothing for CUT.

You mean overseeder? I am too looking for one- john thomas offered me to borrow his but he is too far from me. I am trying to think if a broadcast seeder actually works or not since I just bought one from TSC the other day on sale. Its a nice unit, much more heavy duty unit. Planning to fertilize my lawn soon. I will need to contact my dealer to see if he has a landpride overseeder to rent.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking these items should be available to rent?

I don't think you are. I have been tossing ideas all winter and spring long about opening a store for scuts and cuts. Most of the implement stuff is a little too big, or too weak for the BX's. We need a little more flexiblity.

/ Renting lawn care equipment #3  
Well here in RI rentals of attachments / implements are all geared toward skid steers, and lucky to find anything else. Rentals of these items usually include renting the tractor as well from the rental yard.

I just attempt to buy everything I need used. Use it for the purpose and either sell it / put it away for future use.

/ Renting lawn care equipment #4  
Hi oldnslo I'm prone to renting things I use rarely. Just yesterday was at the dealer looking at tillers. Pretty sure he said it was 150 a day inc pick/delivery. For me that reasonable for somethings that can come close to 3k.

Many times over the years I've use a bucket of sand for ballast. Like if I was pulling logs out of the woods, using a scraper. Even used a loaded bucket to knock down and uproot small trees.

I'm just throwing that out so you'll appreciate and use the mechanical advantage of a loaded bucket for your 3PH projects if it's required. A 4wd veh that can't get sufficient purchase with the front end isn't the big help it could be.

/ Renting lawn care equipment
Guys,
thanks for the feed back.

Agree with renting Vs buying for infrequent use items.

I tiller and a lawn seeder would probably be a one time use item for me so can't justify buying them.

thanks again and the search continues.

Roy