It is OK to use the loader in this way?

/ It is OK to use the loader in this way? #31  
Boy - I'm surprised at all the dithering on these replies. Back blading with a front end loader is a standard operating procedure. I appreciate the tips on technique, but for those worrying about breaking your tractor leave it go. If you break it, fix it. Or maybe it means you under-bought originally and need to get a bigger one anyway. If your tractor can't take a little abuse you better look at a different brand.
Mf

Even our Deere 544G loaders at work have warnings in the manual about using the bucket at excessive angles. This is a $80K, 24K# machine which will lift 24.5K#. For many machines, most of the damage will begin showing in the bearings and pins through excessive wear and slop in short order.

/ It is OK to use the loader in this way? #32  
Uh oh, this discussion is a lot like the one about whether to put SUDT or gear oil in your front axle. Valid, strong and convincing opinions on both sides and I end up...right in the middle!:)

Two things are for sure: I'll keep on backblading...but I think I'll take it a little bit easier from now on.

/ It is OK to use the loader in this way? #33  
Boy - I'm surprised at all the dithering on these replies. Back blading with a front end loader is a standard operating procedure. I appreciate the tips on technique, but for those worrying about breaking your tractor leave it go. If you break it, fix it. Or maybe it means you under-bought originally and need to get a bigger one anyway. If your tractor can't take a little abuse you better look at a different brand.
Mf

I use my Loader Buddy with the teeth down all the time. For ten years I have done this. I always go in low gear when working in dirt. I use LB on a 45HP tractor and a 30HP tractor with comparable results. The attached pics show the 30HP tractor working in reverse. I feel it is important to know the limits of your machine and techniques of FEL operation. I use just enough throttle to get the work done and maintain the "feel" that one develops with experience. With my Loader Buddy I find this superior to a box blade as I have better dexterity, down pressure, visibility and the ability to target problem areas with surgical precision. Back dragging with the sharp bucket heel produces very level surfaces in the end. I might add that I would NOT do this with a standard bucket because the physics are all wrong for the desired effect.

Attachments

• DSCF0157.JPG
    DSCF0157.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCF0156.JPG
    DSCF0156.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
   / It is OK to use the loader in this way? #34  
I've used it both in forward and reverse dressing up loose soil / dirt. Done this a lot in the past year on the yard. No problems here

/ It is OK to use the loader in this way? #36  
A york rake on the 3ph really does a great job for larger leveling jobs like that.... but I've been doing what you describe as well. I'll be careful now about catching rocks or stumps, though, to avoid stressing the rods.

/ It is OK to use the loader in this way? #37  
Level with your bucket full of material and going forward/backwards. Your not picking the bucket off the ground. Using it instead like a dozer blade with material as your moldboard. Most of the time your bucket is slightly pitched up on the level never cutting. Once your down to fine grading you do it with empty bucket level slight pitch up catching loose high spots never cutting. Besides last little bits like positioning small rocks you shouldn't ever backblade/push with your bucket pointed up and down even on construction grade equipment. Of course you'll notice alot of operators pushing/backblading with the bucket up and down but quite frankly its just inexperience.