L4310's and very steep hills

/ L4310's and very steep hills #1  

MChalkley

Elite Member
Tractor
EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)
L4310\'s and very steep hills

First of all, a few disclaimers (lest TomG, or others, rightfully chastise me for not being safety conscious /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif), in no particular order: Just because I do something on my tractor, don't assume that you should/can/etc. No matter how implausible this sounds when I describe the following stunt, I always try to operate the tractor in a safe manner. I've spent a lot of time exploring the limits of my tractor with safety mechanisms in place (like a backhoe bucket for a "wheelie bar" or stabilizers for "training wheels"). My tractor is very highly modified and may react very differently from your tractor (and by "differently" I don't necessarily mean "better", just "not the same"). I recommend against trying this - just take my word for it. (Aside to the "lawyers": Did I leave out anything?)

Anyway: I found out something very interesting today. If you climb a hill steeper than just over 40 degrees (according to my side-mounted tiltmeter), the HST transmission stops picking up oil and begins to coast. Going down a hill that steep doesn't cause similar problems because the oil pickup is in the front of the transmission. I was a little surprised at first. I started up this hill, very slowly of course, then all of a sudden the tractor just stopped. I wasn't sure what had happened at first, but it dawned on me just as the tractor started to roll back down the hill. So, I tried backing up the hill instead - no problem. I don't think this is something that should be a problem very often, but just in case it ever happens to you (just don't do it because I brought it up!), now you know.

MarkC

/ L4310's and very steep hills #2  
Re: L4310\'s and very steep hills

Well, since I just got my front to rear tiltmeter on the tractor today, I don't know how steep a hill I've ever tried to drive up, but I've never had the problem you mentioned (and probably never will, since I'm a bit of a coward on slopes anyway). I probably wouldn't have tried it except in reverse. Anyway, I hadn't thought about the possibility of the HST not picking up the oil, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Bird

/ L4310's and very steep hills #3  

Case in point back up the steep hills and drive down!
By the way Mark your crazy!
Stay safe
Gordon

/ L4310's and very steep hills #4  

BIRD,
SINCE I'VE BEEN TO TEXAS A NUMBER OF TIMES, I THOUGHT THE ONLY HILLS TEXAS HAD WAS IF SOMEONE DUG A DITCH AND PILES UP THE DIRT = A HILL. NOW THE DITCH = A VALLEY. :)
FRED

/ L4310's and very steep hills #5  

Well Fred, in my immediate neighborhood, you're almost right; tank dams, borrow ditches, and a few creeks (mostly dry this year) are about it./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif But of course, our tourist folks call Texas the "land of contrast" and I guess you know that we have some mountains that are taller than anything east of the Mississippi River. Just depends on what part of the state you were in./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ L4310's and very steep hills #6  

Mark, I often run in to situations that put the limits of the tractor to test. On the L4850 I use which is a gear driven "wet clutch" design, the hydraulic oil low light comes on and the hydraulics get questionable. This happens on a slope that approaches +45 degress. The backing up theory mentioned does not work as it won't back up the hill as well as it will go up the hill. I stop the moment I get sideways and work the front loader from that point. I find this kind of work challenging but exciting. The other day a JCB backhoe was working the same hill and had the 4n1 jaw wide open to elevate the front end, loader down all the way and still he was not level to dig. I had wished I had taken a picture of it as it looked interesting and thought you of all people would have enjoyed it. I had not thought of the HST and its pickup being in the front. I often wonder about the level of the fluid and if it should be taken when all the hydraulic cylinders are collapsed and in a cool situation. This will give you the greatest amount of fluid as registered by the dip stick, but not necessarily the desired level during normal operating conditions. Enjoy your posts, Rat...

/ L4310's and very steep hills #7  

Mark thanks for the tip! Im glad you didn't, tip that is./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I found a hill that i could'nt get up, loss of traction even with the Big tires, they would spin but no go, had to use the bucket to get back up the hill as it was the only way out. The slope at the top mite be 30 to 40 deg. but im sure glad that i didn't go flying back down. Qust do you think there is any problum with putting say a extra gal. of oil in the hyd. system?
Rich

/ L4310's and very steep hills #8  

Richh

I'm curious, were you trying to go up frontwards or backwards? Did you try the other direction? What do you mean you used your bucket to get up the hill?

/ L4310's and very steep hills

Rich - I've been looking at the shop manual and I can't see any reason an extra gallon or so of oil would hurt anything, but there may be other factors involved.

Do you have ballast in the rear tires? How much pressure are you running in them? Did you have an implement on the back? What kind of surface were you trying to get traction on?

MarkC

/ L4310's and very steep hills #10  

Sounds like the Model-T Ford Truck problem. I'm told they often could be seen backing up hills. The gravity feed gas tank was behind the seat--barely higher than the engine on a level.

Of course, if the tractor goes up the hill the other way, then another quart of oil isn't needed. Well then, guess that brings up the old safety subject of which way up the hill with which I now seem to be identified. But then I can be brief. The archives say it all, and more, and more, and then some.... Can't stop wondering though if the Model-T design made them more, or less, safe.