Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B #1  

davatk

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630
Looking for some advice from experienced MMM people. I recently purchased a B2630 and MMM (RCK60-30B). My first mowing job, although fast, did not look that great. Before mowing, I adjusted all the wheels to what I thought would set it to a 2" height cut, which is what I normally mow my yard at. I am pretty sure I have them all set properly (followed diagram/chart in owners manual). Anyhow, after mowing it appears almost as if one side is higher than the other, as the grass cut looks uneven. Should I be measuring the blade height from a solid surface and adjusting something else to make sure both sides match ? :confused:

Also, the B2630 has position control, and I understand the RCK60-30B is a "floating deck". Should I drop the position contol all the way down when mowing or should I drop it down till it touches the ground then stop ? :confused: I did the latter when mowing this first time.

Thanks for any advice and experiences anyone can share about getting the best perfomance out of one of these mowers.

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B #2  
The position control is exatly what its for- the height you want to cut at. The wheels are not meant to roll continous with lawn. The wheels is onyl for prevent scalping. I set mine to point it barely moves from brushing from grass. Do you have the manual for mower? it has the adjustment settings in there.

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B #3  
I found that my RCK60-30B MMM was about 1/2" low on the left side when adjusted for my regular mowing height of 3". To even it out I drilled another set of holes in the mounting tube that the holds the wheel. It was easy enough to do. First, I drilled through the tube on one side only. I also offset the hole so it was not directly under the standard hole. Then I put the shaft up through the tube and used the hole in the tube that I just drilled and the hole in the shaft as a guide to get the second hole in the right spot. Worked great. My only guess is that the tube is welded to the deck a little off spec. I could have complained to Kubota and said I wanted a new deck, but it was a lot easier just to fix it myself. It sounds like that is what is wrong with yours. I measured the blade height by parking on a level, cement surface. I first made sure that the air pressure in the rear tires was equal. Then I used a tape to measure the height of the blade tip on each side. To be safe, be sure and turn the tractor engine off when you do that.

Your mower is a "ground following mower". The wheels on the mower are meant to carry the weight and are used to adjust the height. You can hold it with the position control if you want to, though. On mine, I removed the rear set of wheels and used a chain on each side to carry the weight. It is now a "semi-suspended" deck. The front wheels still carry some of the weight. I did it because I didn't like the look of the tracks that the rear wheels left in the cut grass.

Overall I like the mower. It does a good job on my lawn. It will never be as good as a ZT mower, though. The tractor tires leaves tracks on the lawn that a ZT does not. That is just the trade-off you get with having one machine that does many jobs. Good luck.

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B
The position control is exatly what its for- the height you want to cut at. The wheels are not meant to roll continous with lawn. The wheels is onyl for prevent scalping. I set mine to point it barely moves from brushing from grass. Do you have the manual for mower? it has the adjustment settings in there.

Hi radioman. I'm not sure your statment is correct since this is not a "suspended" type mower. I was under the impression that with a floating deck, the wheels should always be on the ground. The post after yours seems to confirm that - he called it a "ground following" mower.

I found that my RCK60-30B MMM was about 1/2" low on the left side when adjusted for my regular mowing height of 3". To even it out I drilled another set of holes in the mounting tube that the holds the wheel. It was easy enough to do. First, I drilled through the tube on one side only. I also offset the hole so it was not directly under the standard hole. Then I put the shaft up through the tube and used the hole in the tube that I just drilled and the hole in the shaft as a guide to get the second hole in the right spot. Worked great. My only guess is that the tube is welded to the deck a little off spec. I could have complained to Kubota and said I wanted a new deck, but it was a lot easier just to fix it myself. It sounds like that is what is wrong with yours. I measured the blade height by parking on a level, cement surface. I first made sure that the air pressure in the rear tires was equal. Then I used a tape to measure the height of the blade tip on each side. To be safe, be sure and turn the tractor engine off when you do that.

Your mower is a "ground following mower". The wheels on the mower are meant to carry the weight and are used to adjust the height. You can hold it with the position control if you want to, though. On mine, I removed the rear set of wheels and used a chain on each side to carry the weight. It is now a "semi-suspended" deck. The front wheels still carry some of the weight. I did it because I didn't like the look of the tracks that the rear wheels left in the cut grass.

Overall I like the mower. It does a good job on my lawn. It will never be as good as a ZT mower, though. The tractor tires leaves tracks on the lawn that a ZT does not. That is just the trade-off you get with having one machine that does many jobs. Good luck.

Thanks Toolguy for that great description. That sounds exactly like what my problem may be - assuming that I did not mess up on the adjustments. I'll get out the old tape measure as you suggested and do a measurement to a cement floor in my garage to get the real scoop. That's how I used to do my yardman and it always worked well. I guess I just expected the kubota $2500+ mower to have the adjustment wheels correct. Maybe not, we'll see.

A couple of questions - what side did you end up drilling the whole in ? And do you remember the drill bit size that you used ?

Thanks again ! You guys on this forum are great ! :thumbsup:

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B #6  
It was the left side. I can't remember the size of the hole. It is about 3/8". Maybe one size larger. Just big enough for the pin to freely slide through.

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B #7  
The decks on the xx30 series tractors are ground engaging meaning they are meant to ride on the ground. Before I would drill holes I would check the wheel/pins and make sure there isnt a difference in length in them, maybe you just need to shuffle them around because they got put in the wrong sleeve on the deck. Is it possible that the front wheel/pin is a touch shorter than the back ones and for some reason they are on the same side right now, hope that makes sense.

...Never mind on this...I just saw a xx30 series deck on the detail your tractor thread and yeah your not going to get those wheels mixed up on where they go......!!

The decks on the xx30 series tractors are ground engaging meaning they are meant to ride on the ground. Before I would drill holes I would check the wheel/pins and make sure there isnt a difference in length in them, maybe you just need to shuffle them around because they got put in the wrong sleeve on the deck. Is it possible that the front wheel/pin is a touch shorter than the back ones and for some reason they are on the same side right now, hope that makes sense.

...Never mind on this...I just saw a xx30 series deck on the detail your tractor thread and yeah your not going to get those wheels mixed up on where they go......!!

Hmm, might be worth checking anyway. You never know. I'll do that before I drill any holes.

Ok, so I measured the blade height, and lo and behold, one side was a half inch higher. Then I look at the front wheel adjustments on the deck and see that some idiot (yours truly) had adjusted one of the wheels improperly. :ashamed::ashamed:

So, I readjusted it properly measured the blade on both sided and now all is good ! :D

Then proceeded to mow my yard, loving every minute of it.

Luvin my new tractor. :tractor::cool2:

/ Adjustments and mowing with RCK60-30B #10  

Wrong. The BX mower is different than the mower he is talking about. That deck is designed to follow the ground, and the lift should be lowered all the way.