ZTR purchase/second thoughts

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #31  
If you want to move on past a ZTR for ride, cut and one handed comfort then get a Kubota F. It comes in 2WD and 4WD. Not as cheap as a ZTR but worth the difference, to me.

Hi JT. I would certainly prefer an F to my ZTR. My question is why would the ride and cut be better on an F? Just because it goes slower? Is there suspension on those?

Thanks,
Rob

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #32  
As I edged along the road last night, I was thinking about how much I loved the ole' Bolens and the later Troy Bilt riding mowers. The GTX20 comes to mind.

I thought to myself, I honestly don't think I could cut grass with one again. I'm serious. As much as I loved their style, power, quality of cut and sentimental value, I just couldn't do it.

My Ferris IS3000 will just flat cut circles around one, cut around things much better, access to the engine is so easy, ride is great (maybe not quite as good as the old style but, then again, you are going several mph faster on the ZTR). When I was out to the property the other day, I blew through about 4 acres in about 1.5 hours- these areas are VERY rough. I think they were plowed 50 years ago and never disc. When I first started cutting, I was thinking I needed to hook up the 88" flail mower. Shoot, by the time I went and got the tractor, wrestled with the getting them together, I was about half way done!:confused2: I really didn't intend on cutting that much, it's just so easy. Before I knew it, I had the whole field cut, all the paths and was looking for more. ......and I don't care for cutting grass.

For all of you guys that are having trouble on hillls, listen to me, get you a set of ag treads for your ZTR and try them. They will climb up and go across more than you feel safe doing it. I cut the hill behind my house going up as far as I feel comfortable and then backing down slowly. Last night, for the first time, I hit it by going across it. Always before, I felt as though it wouldn't do it. It did it with ease and the ground was wet from two days worth of rain. Grant it, I cut from the base of the hill up. While I was at her uncle's, I had the mower with me one day. He wanted me to back it off of there and show him what it would do. Some dealerships told him he couldn't cut his yard and some told him he could. He lives on top of a hill so when you are cutting close to the edge, if you go over, you aren't going to get control back. I was puckered the whole time even though the mower handle all of his hills fine. I would have been almost as puckered on a regular riding mower. He was shocked when i came straight up his steepest part and the front end didn't even lift. I told him the decks are heavy on the front, the ag tires are what made the difference (I wouldn't even consider his yard with turfs...at all!!!) and if he'd load the tires, he'd have no problems. Now he wants one.

Honestly, every time I use the mower, I get better at it and making it become part of you. Don't get on one and poo poo a ztr the first time out. I did that. It was me, not the mower.

edit: the worst thing about them is the price.....

get the high lift gator blades and the lawn will look great....keep them real sharp too

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #33  
Anyone ever think about selling zero turn and going back to a regular style lawn mower?I like the maneuverability and quickness of the zero turn.But I like the way my old tractor cut the lawn.I have 4 acres of yard - No hills or trees.Any 2nd thoughts?

Never. I have a Hustler 54" FasTrak that I'd only part with to buy an even bigger one.

Bill

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #34  
I went from a Woods RM660 finish mower behind an old Massey Fergurson
TO35 to a Kubota ZG327(ZTR), and am having some second thoughts about the switch. I have 6+ acres of rolling hills and one steep hill and did fine 'cept for having to weed-wack around the trees, etc. to get a finished look using the Massey/Woods.

The ZTR has two drawbacks for my property: 1) no suspension makes for a bumpy and sometimes less than a straight line cut unless I slow down to a speed slower than I prefer, and 2) on my steep hill its almost impossible to use the best feature of the ZTR - zero turning around tress, etc. - because the ZTR's loses traction and slides in directions I don't want to go (it doesn't matter that it can be absolutely dry grass - it still loses traction and slides downhill.)

I'm going to keep the ZTR thru this summer and see if I can master the steep hill issue. If not, I'll go back to a finish mower off the back of the tractor
(B3030) using the PTO.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #35  
Hi JT. I would certainly prefer an F to my ZTR. My question is why would the ride and cut be better on an F? Just because it goes slower? Is there suspension on those?

Thanks,
Rob
I guess it's the seat that makes it more comfortable and I guess the speed of the blades makes the cut better. Don't know the whys of it. I have the rear discharge deck and grass comes out shredded fine and spread out and not rowed so it may be recutting somewhat like a mulching mower. It doesn't mow slower than a ZTR. I can't ride it at quarter speed on ground while mowing but sales brochures indicate top moving speed of ZTR's as slightly more than the F as a "it's faster than a F" but in practical application no one runs a ZTR full out while mowing or if they do they don't have one that goes as fast as this F or their ground is golf green smooth. I guess it's "why is a Lexus better than a Camry when Toyota makes both of them"? Try each one and you'll know the difference even if you can't tell it. Guess that's why Kubotas F is several thousand dollars more than their ZTR. I chose to pay the difference and if it saves me from back pain and a few hours a year then it's worth it to me at my age. I don't think any ZTR can mow faster than an F, I just believe a ZTR may beat an F in the parking lot but I'd have to see it.

Edit add: The reason I bought an F is after watching one on a golf course. I've noticed the front deck mowers seem to be the mower of choice at golf courses, where they do major mowing, for some reason.

Last edited:
   / ZTR purchase/second thoughts #36  
For all of you guys that are having trouble on hillls, listen to me, get you a set of ag treads for your ZTR and try them. They will climb up and go across more than you feel safe doing it. I cut the hill behind my house going up as far as I feel comfortable and then backing down slowly. Last night, for the first time, I hit it by going across it. Always before, I felt as though it wouldn't do it. It did it with ease and the ground was wet from two days worth of rain. Grant it, I cut from the base of the hill up. While I was at her uncle's, I had the mower with me one day. He wanted me to back it off of there and show him what it would do. Some dealerships told him he couldn't cut his yard and some told him he could. He lives on top of a hill so when you are cutting close to the edge, if you go over, you aren't going to get control back. I was puckered the whole time even though the mower handle all of his hills fine. I would have been almost as puckered on a regular riding mower. He was shocked when i came straight up his steepest part and the front end didn't even lift. I told him the decks are heavy on the front, the ag tires are what made the difference (I wouldn't even consider his yard with turfs...at all!!!) and if he'd load the tires, he'd have no problems. Now he wants one.

Honestly, every time I use the mower, I get better at it and making it become part of you. Don't get on one and poo poo a ztr the first time out. I did that. It was me, not the mower.

edit: the worst thing about them is the price.....

get the high lift gator blades and the lawn will look great....keep them real sharp too
I went and bought the AG tires for my Z the beginning of spring one year and thought they were the greatest. Summer came and the ground hardened up and the tires were by far worse than the originals. Been using these for a long time now?
All_Trail.jpg

I will agree, a Z takes some time to get use to. I had a dealer drop off a demo unit to use, I never even finished my lawn and parked it. Two years later I bought one, can not get the wife or kids off of it now.:D

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #37  
For all of you guys that are having trouble on hillls, listen to me, get you a set of ag treads for your ZTR and try them. They will climb up and go across more than you feel safe doing it.

Do they tear up the lawn?

Ken

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #39  
I can say I have found the original tires on my Z seemed to tear up my lawn more than the AG tires did and more than the tires in the above picture. Seems I was always spinning the tires and the more you get use to the Z the faster you go and the more you spin the tires.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #40  
I went from a Woods RM660 finish mower behind an old Massey Fergurson
TO35 to a Kubota ZG327(ZTR), and am having some second thoughts about the switch. I have 6+ acres of rolling hills and one steep hill and did fine 'cept for having to weed-wack around the trees, etc. to get a finished look using the Massey/Woods.

The ZTR has two drawbacks for my property: 1) no suspension makes for a bumpy and sometimes less than a straight line cut unless I slow down to a speed slower than I prefer, and 2) on my steep hill its almost impossible to use the best feature of the ZTR - zero turning around tress, etc. - because the ZTR's loses traction and slides in directions I don't want to go (it doesn't matter that it can be absolutely dry grass - it still loses traction and slides downhill.)

I'm going to keep the ZTR thru this summer and see if I can master the steep hill issue. If not, I'll go back to a finish mower off the back of the tractor
(B3030) using the PTO.

You really need to get a Ferris dealer to bring out a unit for you to try. You would be amazed at how well the suspension works. I think your issue is not so much ZTR or no ZTR, its you bought the wrong one.

As for the one hand operation look at Country Clipper. They have a single handle much like a FEL valve.

Chris