ZTR purchase/second thoughts

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #1  

dirty hoe

Anyone ever think about selling zero turn and going back to a regular style lawn mower?I like the maneuverability and quickness of the zero turn.But I like the way my old tractor cut the lawn.I have 4 acres of yard - No hills or trees.Any 2nd thoughts?

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #2  
if you run like 3/4 speed with high lift blades and keep them sharp the cut quality improves

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #3  
I upgraded from a 42" tractor style to a 50" ztr. Cut my mowing time in half. However, with my 42" tractor style, I was able to use it for clearing underbrush, but quickly found out that the ztr didn't like that very much. I will most likely get a mmm for my bx24 but for right now I will be content with the time saved for mowing since I only cleared underbrush 2 times a year.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #4  
I am in the process of selling my Gravely 148Z and buying a GC or BX to replace it with. I dont like the way it handles on steep ground like I have. I have to admit it is fast and leaves a great cut. Hope the one I buy with a MMM does the same..... minus the pucker factor on the hills:laughing:!!

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #5  
My previous property was completely in the woods, and I bought a Dixon ztr to save time. But that's about the only reason I'd recommend to have a ZTR...when there are a lot of things to steer around. We've moved and my current property has very few trees, so I switched to a b2920 with a MMM to cut it. The seller wanted me to buy his 60" Grasshopper with the house, but I had decided not to to have another ztr.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #7  
I had a Simplicity Citation ZTR for few years, great cut, fast, and loved the controls. However, I do have slopes and it just got old after a while having to do the slopes with a trimming mower. If you have the right deck and blades then you can't beat the ZTR cut on flat property even if you have a lot of trees.

On the other hand, having the tractor has one main advantage for me, when I had the ZTR then I was the only driver and no one else was able to handle it in the family. Now it is different story with the tractor and get many more usages from it.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #8  
Anyone ever think about selling zero turn and going back to a regular style lawn mower?I like the maneuverability and quickness of the zero turn.But I like the way my old tractor cut the lawn.I have 4 acres of yard - No hills or trees.Any 2nd thoughts?

I just got a B series with a 60" MMM, but to be honest always wondered about a ZT for my yard. Anyhow, after using the new tractor and the 60" MMM I am convinced I made the right decision. Being the the tractor has HST and you are able to go into reverse so quickly (with the deck still running) you can get really close to stuff, and turn around on a dime.

My 2 cents. :cool:

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #9  
If you have a commercial Ztr the cut should be much better (and faster). Try adjusting the pitch of the deck 1/4" lower in front and make sure tire pressure is all the same.

/ ZTR purchase/second thoughts #10  
My Scag Wildcat ZTR will mow circles around the old RFM I used to have on my B2710, and prettier too. Plus, it doesn't bog down in thick grass as much as the tractor did. Go figure. No comparison for me. A tractor is a tractor that can also mow, a commercial ZTR is the best mower in my experience at least. Just not sure how a mid mount could match the cut quality for a particular speed, because it just won't have the blade tip speed a ZTR gets. Maybe it depends on the finish mower and the ZTR that are being compared.