Starting Procedure

/ Starting Procedure #1  

poldies4

Silver Member
Tractor
B 2320
This is probably a pretty dumb question, but here goes. In my manual for my BX1860 it states that at start up the throttle should be 1/2 open? I've never done it, any other engine I've owned seems to start and warm up better at idle. On the other side of that lately when i've been starting the tractor it starts at idle on the throttle, but seems to pulse and have white smoke for 3-5 seconds, then it is fine, it only does this when the engine is cold. So the question is two parts...1 should I, or does any one else start their machine at half throttle.(which seems counterproductive to proper warm up) 2 should I be worried about the pulsing, or is that the consequence of not starting at halfish throttle? 3 If, in fact I should set the throttle at half, do I let the tractor warm up at half, or start it then throttle it back? Most of my two part questions are three or four as I type slow, more comes to mind, sorry. One more for good measure. I think my tractor is slow. The manual says 10mph or so, but it seems very slow, maybe its just me? There, a proper 5 part two part question. Thanks guys!!!!!!

/ Starting Procedure #2  
I go by the manual and start at half throttle and let it warm up at half throttle. I have been doing it for years and believe the people who designed and built it know more than I. My 2003 BX2200 is still running like a top.

/ Starting Procedure
Thanks TripleR, funny how little things like that don't matter till they matter. Is it a diesel thing, or a Kubota thing? This is the only diesel i've ever had.

/ Starting Procedure #4  
I go by the manual and start at half throttle and let it warm up at half throttle. I have been doing it for years and believe the people who designed and built it know more than I. My 2003 BX2200 is still running like a top.

All my diesel training was to start at idle so I do that on all my tractors and they start just fine.

/ Starting Procedure #5  
Start mine at idle throttle + cracked a bit. Warm it up at 1300 which is above idle a bit. It seems to like it better.

/ Starting Procedure #6  
Start mine at idle throttle + cracked a bit. Warm it up at 1300 which is above idle a bit. It seems to like it better.

For warm up I like to get above that critical vibration point also.

/ Starting Procedure #7  
I start mine at idle then bump it up a bit to warm up..No where near half throttle.

/ Starting Procedure #8  
This is probably a pretty dumb question, but here goes. In my manual for my BX1860 it states that at start up the throttle should be 1/2 open? I've never done it, any other engine I've owned seems to start and warm up better at idle. On the other side of that lately when i've been starting the tractor it starts at idle on the throttle, but seems to pulse and have white smoke for 3-5 seconds, then it is fine, it only does this when the engine is cold. So the question is two parts...1 should I, or does any one else start their machine at half throttle.(which seems counterproductive to proper warm up) 2 should I be worried about the pulsing, or is that the consequence of not starting at halfish throttle? 3 If, in fact I should set the throttle at half, do I let the tractor warm up at half, or start it then throttle it back? Most of my two part questions are three or four as I type slow, more comes to mind, sorry. One more for good measure. I think my tractor is slow. The manual says 10mph or so, but it seems very slow, maybe its just me? There, a proper 5 part two part question. Thanks guys!!!!!!

1) I think I read some where that the 1/2 throttle was to inject more fuel while starting. As a farm kid, if I did this to one of dad's diesels I wouldn't be sitting down yet.... Was taught diesels are to be started at idle and gradually reved up.

1a) Rough idle, these little devils are shakers and movers. Bring the idle speed up until it smoothes out around 1300 RPM or so.

5) Travel speed: I thought they where only rated to around 7.5 - 8 MPH not 10. And yes 10 MPH is slow going down the highway but around your yard dodging trees etc. 10 MPH is FAST...

Roy

/ Starting Procedure #9  
Start mine at Idle and I too have the 3 second pulse and a little smoke. how many hours do you have on it?

/ Starting Procedure #10  
Engine start is the most important few moments in the life of an engine. Think about what happens when you start your car or truck. They are programmed to start and fast idle immediately. You might think that this process is harmful but quite the opposite is true.

The oil pump does not directly lubricate many of the parts inside an engine. The oil that is flung off the crankshaft accomplishes this task. At a speed of 1800 RPM, this oil is quickly spread to all areas inside the crankcase. If starting at idle speed, this process takes much longer.

I always start my tractor at near half speed, and avoid idling it after it has warmed up.