Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art!

/ Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art!
I don't think American Pit Bull was bashing Bro-Tek, but rather talking about just random companies who will make something to make money without researching if it would hurt the tractor it was installed.

There are large incentives for companies like Bro-Tek to look into what they make. A one time sale doesn't help those companies, but repeat business from people like the ones that frequent this iste.

But for some off the grid machine shop that thinks they can make a few bucks on E-Bay or similar avenues aren't going to be too worried about the negative effects their products may have. Usually all they have to do is include a disclaimer.

Either way, by now owners should know that modifying their equipment can/will most likely void your warranty in some regards.

Understood and agreed. APB is obviously a pretty well informed guy. Just don't think you can paint with such a broad brush is all.

As far as engineering goes, well, engineers are not God (and I know a couple). The in-house engineers for just about all manufacturers, from tractors to toasters, often exhibit shortcomings in aspects of their designs, often necessitating subsequent corrections. I think this is often just an unfortunate byproduct of marketing that calls for ever new models and features to help boost sales. Design mistakes and compromises are always going to be with us, that's just the way it is.

Yes, megaboz, I think you're right when you say it really comes down to an issue of warranty.

/ Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art! #13  
I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. A small company like this has the greatest of incentives in the products they put out, and that is the very success of the company itself.
Well the question that I directed my post at was pertaining to why aftermarket parts void the factory warranty.... The quick answer should have been "Because they haven't been tested."

Yes, on the scale of even a good company like BroTek; they have a personal incentive not to push the limits....
But if they release a failure prone design, they will lose sales and, in the worst case scenario, they will go belly up and lose a small investment.

If Kubota releases a failure prone design, at the very minimum, they will have to eat hundreds of thousands in warranty work if not be forced to issue a safety recall that would cost them millions.

BroTek machines good stuff, and they stay within the limitations of proven designs. But Kubota will be able to tell you the exact safety factor that is engineered into the part and what the potential is for failure. After all, they spend millions on R&D just for these purposes.

Aftermarket companies do not want failures, so their sales can grow... OEM parts can't fail due to liabilities that they will incur.
Big difference in a $10k loss in future growth and a $1M liability due to OEM failures.

So yes, aftermarket vendors have some incentive and near zero liability. OEM vendors have great incentive and potentially huge liability.

-Just for the record. I think that BroTek offers solid products and it is great that companies, such as theirs, can give owners options that they factory will not provide.

/ Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art! #15  
Well I digress.......back to the discussion of Wheel Spacers. :)

After much contemplation I went ahead and ordered a set of rear spacers from Richard at Bro-Tek. They will be mounted on my BX24. Even with the tires filled, the slopes on my mountain property in NC create a very "tippy" feeling at times and any additional stability is a welcome thing. Looking forward to getting them on. Now if I could just find a pair of old Crager Mag Rims it would look just like an old Chevelle with tires that are too big for it.

/ Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art! #16  
So... 1.5" spacers are ok by the manufacturer and 2" spacers are still ok but put a little bit more stress on the axles.

I have been looking through all the old threads and haven't seen anyone break anything from them.

I have seen some pictures and haven't been able to determine if the front tire will still be in track with the rear after the spacer is added.

/ Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art! #17  
JsBX I think it is just your normal "anti" crowd talking. These spaces double bolt and are not simple "shims".

I expect Kubota tractors are engineered well enough to handle the spacers just fine.

/ Bro-Tek wheel spacers, a work of art! #18  
JsBX I think it is just your normal "anti" crowd talking. These spaces double bolt and are not simple "shims".
That's interesting... I haven't seen any negative sentiment what-so-ever, in this thread.

That made me laugh... And I know exactly what you mean! (coming from an engineer)

:thumbsup:
Yeah, I suspected as much about you. :D Really, I'm one who has great admiration for what it takes to earn an engineering degree of any sort. Takes hard work and perseverance. The contributions of engineers affect all of us in so many ways. People generally aren't very aware of what goes into the design and fabrication of stuff we use every day, most don't give it any thought at all.

My ex-partner went back to school and got a degree...took him 5 years. He's told me all kinds of stuff, and it's fascinating (once you get past the numbers).:) Actually, it's all numbers...

So... 1.5" spacers are ok by the manufacturer and 2" spacers are still ok but put a little bit more stress on the axles.

I have been looking through all the old threads and haven't seen anyone break anything from them.

I have seen some pictures and haven't been able to determine if the front tire will still be in track with the rear after the spacer is added.

I read every reference I could find on these, and also couldn't find one person who complained that they damaged anything. Doesn't prove anything, of course, but made it a little easier to buy. Not sure about your "tracking" concern.

Comes down to the slight risk of greater wear and tear on the axel vs. the more probable and serious risk of wear and tear to me. If I had mostly flat land I might not worry about it. But I've got mainly hills, terraces, uneven ground and a 20 foot deep gully behind the house. I can live with the risk.