Mowing Brush hog use

/ Brush hog use #1  

Rusty4242

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Oh, yeah. One more question,(for now).. do you run the brush hog level, or can you tip it up at the front side to help scoop heavy brush under the unit?

/ Brush hog use #2  
Oh, yeah. One more question,(for now).. do you run the brush hog level, or can you tip it up at the front side to help scoop heavy brush under the unit?

You can adjust it to get the results you want. In general:
1. front higher than back to more thoroughly mulch the material,
2. back higher than front to more quickly discharge the clippings, and
3. pretty level for mowing light material; i.e., grass & weeds

/ Brush hog use #3  
The instructions on my Land Pride and Woods rotary cutters indicate the "proper" adjustment is slightly lower in the front. I find myself using mine as Bird indicates, depending on the conditions and what I am trying to accomplish.

/ Brush hog use #4  
If lower in front, you only cut once and it requires less horsepower. If higher in front, the front cuts, then the back also cuts, requiring more hp.

Like Bird said, double cutting might give a prettier looking result if that's important.

Ken

/ Brush hog use #5  
Not trying to hyjack this thread, but how big of diameter stuff could you cut up to with a 4ft bush hog and a 26hp machine?

/ Brush hog use #6  
Not trying to hyjack this thread, but how big of diameter stuff could you cut up to with a 4ft bush hog and a 26hp machine?

When I first got into this stuff, a guy at work told me that I could bush hog anything that I could drive over. He was wrong. A lot of times I'll back over stuff that I won't drive over!

As for what an individual unit will handle, I suggest you check the manufacturer's recommendations. It depends on if the cutter is light, medium, or heavy duty. Off. hand, for what you mentioned, I'd guess 2", maybe 2-1/2" diameter would be okay if you are willing to driver over it ;-) Of course, it also depends on what species it is. Soft maple saplings are much easier to mow than oak saplings of the same diameter.

/ Brush hog use #7  
Remember, it's a bush hog...Not a tree whacker (loose term).

Don

/ Brush hog use #8  

As stated previously, it is going to depend on the rating by the manufacturer. My 48" Land Pride is rated to cut 1 1/2". It has a slip clutch and will cut thicker than this, but over time you will pay the price.

/ Brush hog use #9  
It has a slip clutch and will cut thicker than this, but over time you will pay the price.

Excellent point. There is a difference between mowing down an occasional sapling and clearing a 100 acre overgrown pasture full of them!

Ken

/ Brush hog use #10  
Excellent point. There is a difference between mowing down an occasional sapling and clearing a 100 acre overgrown pasture full of them!

Ken

That's the truth and I have the bills to prove it. I got tired of replacing gearboxes when my sons kept taking on more than my Woods 121 10' was rated and bought a Woods DS1260 last year. I am not sure this will help or just encourage them to take on even bigger stuff:(