B2400 HST Hydrostat Help Please

/ B2400 HST Hydrostat Help Please #1  

taftalw

I won't drag this out too far but I need help with this one. The tractor is a B2400HST 4WD with just less than a thousand hours on it. The Hydrostat seemed to be showing some signs of a potential problem during the last 3 to 5 hours of run time. It would seem sluggish or weak but I had not been alarmed as it was always just in moving the machine and I attributed it to just cold start up and not being run in some time. I put the belly mower on and got it set up for the cutting season and made a trial pass of about 50 feet and turned around to head back up the small incline (maybe 5 degrees)to the shop when I got the shutter feeling in the pedal and the slightly louder whine in the transmission. The PTO was unaffected, the 3pt lifted fine and power steering was not affected. I shut off the mower and lifted the deck all the while headed to the safety of tools and fluids. If I tried to accelerate it only slowed so I found a the best range of operation and arrived alive. I jacked the machine up all the way round and put it on jackstands. Fluid level was at the low in of acceptable but I though a change would be in order. I pulled all the drain plugs, removed the filter and removed the screen on the suction side. The fluid had the normal look with no strange odor and the screen had a fair amount of particulate but had it been coffee instead of metal it would not have made a decent cup of joe. By next morning I had all the expendables and began the freshin up of the new lifeblood. After topping it off I started the engine and walked away letting the juice flow freely for better than ten minutes. When I returned, I took the RPM's up notch to just below PTO operation range and slowly pressed the forward pedal taking it to the floor and holding while listening and feeling then back to the neutral position and then reverse with the same progression. The shutter and whine was still there and I was baffeled. Next I took the pedal to the floor in the forward position and then increased the throttle to full power only to see the wheels stop. I repeated this several times with the same results. Now with about an hour on the new fluid I drained the fluid again and the suction screen was clean. I shut it down and hit the internet. For the past week I've read every post on every forum and google it to death. After the first two evenings of reading I had cuncluded that the hydrostat had to be replaced as the rebuild kits cost was to close to full replacement price to do a repair and hope. I had also found a used unit for just under half price of a new unit. Either way this was an expense I hated to swallow. I went ahead with the split and now have the hydro unit on the bench waiting for the final verdict. If I go new or used, either way I'm going to open this can of worms and see what I can't fix. But wait..... more searching and reading and I'm picking up some of the jargon. I wish I knew the pressures that should be read from the ports on this unit and the procedure for getting them. If any you guys want to share any information, knowledge, theory, or even a few pages from a service manual I would greatly appreciate it. Times are tough all over and then something breaks. I've definitely got more time than I've got money so I am open to ALL suggestions.

Last edited:
   / B2400 HST Hydrostat Help Please #2  
If you are still around let me know. I've got the whole transmission and hydraulic sections of the kubota b2400 service manual. I might be able to get you some info. In the meantime if you will contact your local dealer and tell them your situation (like i did) they might let you make copies of what you need from their service manuals ( like they did for me ).

P.S. I'm about to split my b2400 and pull the trans. this weekend. Not looking forward to it. How long did it take you?

/ B2400 HST Hydrostat Help Please #3  
If any you guys want to share any information, knowledge, theory, or even a few pages from a service manual I would greatly appreciate it. Times are tough all over and then something breaks. I've definitely got more time than I've got money so I am open to ALL suggestions.
Check this thread. Several members posted helpful info. It sounds like the problem I had. I replaced the HST and kept the old to check out when I have time.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/162734-help-mighty-mouse-nibbled-kryptonite.html
larry

/ B2400 HST Hydrostat Help Please #4  
Jcullers4 can I get a copy of that service manual? I have one that ran low on fluid and are looking into a new pump. Thanks in advance.