purchase decision

/ purchase decision #11  
I was in a similar situation to you about a year ago. I wanted a TLB, but not necessarily to make money. I just found myself performing too many projects around the the homestead where the extra help would be seriously handy.

I looked at the 39, 45, 59 and JD 110. At the end of the day, I got a 59 for slightly more than the 45, and I'm glad I did. The 59 is a beast. Lots of power compared to the smaller units.

I recently rented a new L4400 with a 5' harley rake to redo my lawn (the harley rake is awesome!). I had some topsoil brought in to use as a topdressing. I used a combination of the loaders on the 4400 and the 59 to spread the dirt. The difference in power and grunt between these units is gigantic. That being said, i really think the 4400 has it's place. Much more maneuverable and zippy...smoother ride over dicey terrain. More fuel efficient. I really liked it. I could see myself owning both a small tractor and the 59 in a perfect world.

So I guess what I'm saying is you need to get a machine to match your intended work. The 59 is not the best choice if you see yourself frequently mowing or traversing an established lawn (you will eventually compress the soil and rip up the lawn). However if you want to use the FEL to unload a 3000 lb. pallet of paver stone from a delivery truck, the 4400 won't do it. This is where the 59 shines.

Digging lots of stumps and boulders...the M59 is the better choice. (But it is no industrial hoe.) Sometimes it's just better to rent an excavator or full size industrial backhoe to do some jobs.

How will you store the tractor? The M59 will not fit into a standard garage door.

How about the need to trailer the unit? If you need to tow it from one place to another, rembember the M59 weighs about 9k, add 4k for a 7 ton trailer and you need a serious truck (like a dually) to move it about. In some states, you will need a CDL to legally move a trailer over 10K.

Just some thoughts...

-Mark

/ purchase decision #12  
I'm struggling with justifying the purchase of a TLB ......
By the way, my wife supports the purchase. I'm only debating myself at this point.

Bill, you sound just like me two years ago. My wife was the one who wanted me to buy a new tractor.

So we started with the larger compact tractors and then at 60+HP Ag tractors with a cab, loader, and backhoe attachments...and didn't overlook the big yellow TLBs from Case, Ford, and Cat. At one point We came very close to buyng a JD110 - even used one for several days.... But we bought a Kubota M59 and after two years are still glad we did.
good luck, rScotty

/ purchase decision
You guys make me feel better about this process and I appreciate that. So far 95% of what has been mentioned I had already considered so I'm feeling better about my thoroughness.

Storage is an issue that has actually come along at the right time. One of the reasons I'm considering the purchase is that we are going to build a new storage shed on the property. I've already looked at the size specs of the M59, to accomodate it. But it will be under a tarp until late summer.

My list of uses continues to grow. Old fences to rip out, boulders to move, stone wall to build...etc...etc. I have no need to trailer the M59 at all and I don't see mowing with it either. We have an older/smaller tractor to accomplish many of the typical farm tractor duties (no loader on it). So the M59 will primarily be used for more construction/clean-up/road maintenance stuff.

I am pretty certain that I can't afford a commercial construction backhoe and the M59 appears to be as close as I can get to that.

My first dealer visit was informative with no real discussion of price (intentional on my part). I will make several more contacts today and we'll see where it all leads.

My biggest concern is the nagging question "Is there something more prudent to use this money for?", which is a good question to be asking. I just want to feel confident about my decision. I'm a firm believer in doing your homework, make the decision and then don't second-guess yourself after that.

You guys are helping........thanks

/ purchase decision #14  
......My biggest concern is the nagging question "Is there something more prudent to use this money for?", which is a good question to be asking. I just want to feel confident about my decision. I'm a firm believer in doing your homework, make the decision and then don't second-guess yourself after that.

You guys are helping........thanks

Bill,

Only you can answer that. The M59 is a big nut. I use mine a few times a week, so in my mind, I'm getting my money out of it. At this rate of use, if I rented a tractor my cost would be higher. Then again, I'm having fun, so cost isn't the only consideration for me.

I think we're back to the intended use issue. If you think you can perform all of your intended fun stuff, I mean chores, with a smaller machine, and your the type of guy who will be upset over paying for needless overcapacity, then save your coin and go smaller...like the L39 or L45, or even an L48. On the other hand, if you want to dig up a 3500lb. boulder cause it's in the way when you mow the lawn....you're might need the bigger machine.

f1d7a2af.jpg

/ purchase decision #17  
I found w/ the L39 backhoe was not strong enough to lift up the backend of the tractor,
m59 is,

That's interesting. My B21 can lift the rear end without a problem.

To the OP, you haven't really said what you will use the BH for. For most tasks, I've found the B21 capable except it was a bit scary working on hillsides (as I suspect most backhoes would be.) Over the 6-7 years, I put 400 hours on my B21. Last year I bought a mini excavator, mostly for doing trail work and a little serious digging :)

Depending on your digging needs, the M59 may be overkill for what you need. Then again, it may not. One advantage of the smaller units is that they can work in more congested areas and don't lawn damage like a bigger, heavier unit.

Ken

Last edited:
   / purchase decision
I'll have little need to trailer the M59 as we only have a single piece of property.

As for intended use, here are some:

Maintaining 1 mile of dirt road (shale bed, very rough now)

Plowing snow

Ripping out fences and replacing

Picking boulders from a creek bed

Digging drainage ditches

Digging foundations (24" deep, 2' wide)

Lifting logs

Clearing brush

Building stone wall and rock gardens

Lifting building materials

etc/etc/etc

/ purchase decision #20  
Since you seem fairly well set on an M59, and you haven't picked a dealer and you live in Virginia (we assume) check out Barlows, both new and used.
Used Kubota Tractors
They deliver all over for a very fair price.

Right now they have an M59 w/ 300hrs for $39.5K.

Be sure to get a thumb.