purchase decision

/ purchase decision #1  

Bill in VA

I'm struggling with justifying the purchase of a TLB and wanted to put this question in front of those who already own such a machine. My struggles are simply based on the $ I'm spending (M59 preferred) versus what I can do with it.

So the question is; Did any of you owners go through some semiformal process of writing everything down you thought you could do with it or answering a series of questions that gave you useful feedback or something else that helped you decide.

If this sounds stupid, understand that this will be the single most expensive equipment purchase I have ever made or will make in the future. I realize nobody can know my situation exactly but I'm intent on considering every approach to deciding yea or nay on the purchase.

By the way, my wife supports the purchase. I'm only debating myself at this point.

/ purchase decision #2  
First big purchase is always tough, mine was anyway. I've done the list, both pros-cons and need-want type. Will you be using the 3PT at all? Do you have lots of work for the back hoe? An advantage to the TLB combo is the swivel seat, lots of work it saves off-on. With the wife behind you what is stopping you? Is this about buying the tractor or specifically with the backhoe as part of the package?

/ purchase decision #3  
before purchasing my m59 i owned a L 3940 kubota w/ a 7 ft backhoe. I did enjoy the 3940 but honestly the backhoes cannot even be grouped in the same category, the m59s backhoe is a part of the tractor rather than an add on feel it also has way more power!
I found w/ the L39 backhoe was not strong enough to lift up the backend of the tractor,
m59 is,
Also getting off the tractor to get on the backhoe seat is a pain and extremely uncomfortable unless your tiny.
As far as the loader m59 does not struggle with much at all whereas the L39 struggled slightly digging into gravel piles.
With the m59s gpm flow on loader i can run low flow skid steer equipment on front end it has a 16 gpm on front loader ports. i have used log splitter and grapple bucket with it so far.
I am extremely happy with my m59
hope that helped
thanks nick

/ purchase decision #4  
before purchasing my m59 i owned a L 3940 kubota w/ a 7 ft backhoe. I did enjoy the 3940 but honestly the backhoes cannot even be grouped in the same category, the m59s backhoe is a part of the tractor rather than an add on feel it also has way more power!
I found w/ the L39 backhoe was not strong enough to lift up the backend of the tractor,
m59 is,
Also getting off the tractor to get on the backhoe seat is a pain and extremely uncomfortable unless your tiny.
As far as the loader m59 does not struggle with much at all whereas the L39 struggled slightly digging into gravel piles.
With the m59s gpm flow on loader i can run low flow skid steer equipment on front end it has a 16 gpm on front loader ports. i have used log splitter and grapple bucket with it so far.
I am extremely happy with my m59
hope that helped
thanks nick
All that is left is to send us some pics!!!

/ purchase decision #5  
I did the list when I bought my setup. I kept going back & forth on the backhoe as it was a lot of money. I had made a list of specific jobs to do, projects to undertake and I still to this day find new uses for the backhoe.

One of the deciding factors for me was I had 4 friends who had tractors. Everyone of the them said they wished they had bought the backhoe, but thought they would later down the line. 20 years later, they still don't have the hoe. I've been over a few times to help them out with those projects.

As you stated, you have to be comfortabel with the decision, not me....but writing out the list certainly helped. Talking with other owners also helped.

Good luck with your decision! I know what I would do.......

/ purchase decision #6  
You may not need your BH that often...but when you do...you'll be darn glad you got it :drink:

/ purchase decision #7  
I'm struggling with justifying the purchase of a TLB and wanted to put this question in front of those who already own such a machine. My struggles are simply based on the $ I'm spending (M59 preferred) versus what I can do with it.

Well since you didn't really say what you want to do with the TLB - here's my opinion FWIW.

Will you earn money with the TLB or save money by not having to hire someone else to do the job? In either case the "justification" is largely a math exercise.

On the other hand if the TLB is more of a "giant yard toy for a big boy" than a "need" ask if you can afford the initial purchase price (or monthly payments) and if the answer is "yes" then go for it. These things hodl their value reasonably well so if you want to sell 5 years? 10 years in the future, it's not like the value will be "0" and in the meantime you will have had it there for use whenever needed.

Remember - You're Never Too Old To Have A Great Childhood.

I have a TLB that will never "pay" for itself, but have no regrets whatsoever regarding the purchase.

/ purchase decision #8  
You may not need your BH that often...but when you do...you'll be darn glad you got it :drink:

Ditto. As for making a list of uses for the tractor, I could never have imagined how many different uses I was going to have for it before I bought it. If you make your list, keep it and read it a year after your purchase. You'll be able to add at least as many uses to it that you never thought of. Get the tractor!!:thumbsup:

/ purchase decision
Thanks to all of you for the replies.

I'll have my first kubota dealership experience today. Have 2 other dealers fairly local that I will visit over the next week or so. I will also get a price from the Barlow dealership everyone raves about. That should give me 4 good prices to compare. I also intend to visit the service set-ups of the local dealers.

Meanwhile I will remake my list and check it thrice as I gather info. Then I'll probably get hives as it gets down to real decision time. Yea, I hate spending money but I'm getting closer.

I do appreciate the comments and as suggested above, I will keep my list and review it after I've had the tractor (assuming I buy it) for some time.

Any other comments/suggestions would still be appreciated

/ purchase decision #10  
Here's a quick example. About a week ago there were no little chores on the horizon for the FEL / BH, so when I installed the MMM, thought I'd just remove the FEL / BH and cut grass without the extra weight for a while since the ground is still a bit spring damp.

Yesterday we dropped by the nursery and on impulse purchased 5 new trees and 10 bags of mulch. I need to dig 5 holes approx 3' dia and 2' deep, haul some good topsoil to back fill around the root ball and then take mulch around to various locations. Could I do this with a shovel and wheelbarrow? - Yes,If necessary, but it sure seems like this little job will be a lot easier with TLB.

If I were trying to justify the purchase - what price would I put on this labor saving and convenience?