Woods GB60 too big for BX2660?

/ Woods GB60 too big for BX2660? #1  

connor77

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2660 with FEL
I have an opportunity to pick up a nice used Woods Box Blade model GB60 and was wondering if there were any BX2660 owners that might be using something this heavy? I contacted Woods and they recommend the "estate" version which is 48" and closer to 300lbs. The GB60 is almost 500lbs and I wonder if this will work. I will not be in a hurry and have no problem going slow. I would like the ability to use the scarifiers though as I need the tool to re-grade my yard (dirt). I will not be using it for grading a driveway or anything like that. Meaning it won't get a ton of use but some for sure.

Any thoughts? Maybe there are other box blades that people are using - doesn't have to be a Woods obviously - that are 60" and approx 500lbs.

Thanks in advance...

/ Woods GB60 too big for BX2660? #2  
My issue would be less with the weight (more the merrier, I think), rather with the width.

In using my 48" unit over a myriad of conditions, I've found that driveway/stone grading is one of the easiest things to do. If THAT is all you were using it for, I actually think you'd be in good shape...maybe better off because of the width.

But my experince with dirt is just the opposite of what you're anticipating. When grading out dirt, you engage the whole blade and try to remove a chunk of ground, be it 0.5" or 4", then 'carry' that dirt in the box and redistribute it in other valleys and lows elsewhere in the yard. Not only will the extra foot of width be very difficult for your tractor to overcome, the extra cubic yard of dirt in the box itself will further burden your machine.

I know you're tractor has 3 more horsepower than mine, but horsepower is never the problem in this type of operation. In low range, I'll spin all 4 tires all day long pulling against the overwhelming burden of a loaded box blade. Even if I had R1 (ag) tires, I don't think the extra traction would overcome the immense load increase with a 5' wide box blade.

If you were being GIVEN the GB60, I'd say go for it. If you're buying it, I'd save your money. I really, really, really think you'll be happier with a 4' wide unit.

And try to get one with more teeth...I only have 3 and it just doesn't make sense to me. I didn't know when I bought mine, but you really need 4 or 5 teeth on a 4' unit for it to be very effective at 'ripping' dirt, especially clay.

Them's my thoughts.

Last edited:
   / Woods GB60 too big for BX2660? #3  
I have a BX2660 and tend to agree with KEITHINSPACE. I used a 5' and while it worked, I didn't like the width or weight and bought a 4'.

/ Woods GB60 too big for BX2660?
Thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know how I make out...