Hydralic leak on FEL

/ Hydralic leak on FEL #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Was using the front loader on my b7500 hydro for several hours yesterday. After I finished I noticed that the black sleeve that covers the hydro connections on the right hand side of the loader arm that are the bucket actuators was saturated with fluid. The brass connectors were tight, but were wet with hydro. I wiped everything dry, turned the tractor back on and operated the loader for 5 minutes to include the bucket acutuator. No more leaking?? A buddy of mine said it could leak under load. It's not a huge leak, but it has never happened before that I am aware of.

I did do the 50 hour service a month ago. I wonder could I have over filled the hydro oil and caused it to leak our of the seal? I seals seemed snug, and my buddy warned about torqueing them down because the brass is easily stripped.

Any ideas? Tractor has 70 hours on it.

nhman

/ Hydralic leak on FEL #2  
I have had two leaks on the FEL hydraulics on my L3000DT since it was new, it now has 89 hours on the clock.

The first leak was on one of the lift cylinders, turned out to be a bad seal which the dealer fixed. I noticed this one because it dripped oil on the front tire.

The second leak dripped on the same front tire this time it turned out to be one of the fittings on the end of a rubber hose. Apparently it was over tigthened causing a crack in the fitting, after a 60 hours use it split and started dripping.

The dealer made up a new hose and everything has been fine since. I think it would take quite a bit of over filling to cause a problem, perhaps a half a gallon or more. Hope your problems are solved.

Randy

/ Hydralic leak on FEL #3  
Interesting. I just did my 50 hr maint on my B7500 a few weeks ago. I don't have a leak, but I just experienced a problem with my FEL hydraulics. Couldn't get it to lower. Found that the handle resisted me more than usual when I pushed it forward, then it gave way all of a sudden, and the FEL dropped ... but not smoothly. I looked at the connections, and the one marked with the White blaze.... had a very small bubble on the hose.

Perhaps my problem is different than yours, but I also am hoping I didn't introduce I problem when I did the maint. Any ideas what this is about???

/ Hydralic leak on FEL #4  
nhman & DaRube,

First guys, don't be concerned that your service had anything to do with either subsequent problem. Nothing you did during the service could cause any of these problems. Even if you did overfill the hydraulic fluid that won't cause the system to overpressurize. Overfilling would cause the fluid to foam, which can cause problems of it's own, but not over pressurizing. Besides, there are relief valves in the system which open up if it did over pressurize.

nhman, it sounds like you have a leaking hydraulic hose. If the hose protector is saturated, it's probably leaking at the crimp connection between hose & fitting. Pull the protector back (use a hose clamp to secure it back if needed) operate the FEL with a load, or send the cylinder of the affected hose to it's stop so the relief valve opens, and watch the area of the leak. It also possible there is a pin hole leak somewhere in the hose and capillary action is saturating the entire hose protector. Might need to remove the protector to find it if that's the case. If it's not the hose, it will be the fitting itself, or the o ring seal of the fitting. (Note, some fittings use o rings, some do not) If the fitting is loose, tighten it. (BTW, the fittings are steel, not brass). Otherwise I'd get the warranty guys to take a look. Don't let it be, because of the high pressures in the system it is likely to let loose suddenly sometime, usually at the worst time.

DaRube, sounds to me like something got caught in your control valve. Maybe a left over machining chip, ect. I would operate the valve in question, even to the point of intentionally running the cylinder to it's stop, so the relief valve opens, and see what happens. If there is something in there, maybe you can flush it out so the filter can catch it. If it continues to give you trouble, have the warranty guys take a look.
The bubble on the hose is probably a separate problem, and should also be taken care of by the warranty.

HTH,
Dave Perry

/ Hydralic leak on FEL
karmakanic

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look and if I can't figure it out, get it back to the dealer asap. It's still under warrenty. I very much appreciate your knowledge and taking the time to respond.

nhman

/ Hydralic leak on FEL #6  
Thanks!! :) I'll give your suggestion a try. Glad to hear that it isn't something drastic.