Fuel cap

/ Fuel cap #1  

tomf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400 HST
On my b2400 the fuel cap tightens down then pops loose. I replaced the fuel cap once before because of the same problem. I've been very careful about over tightening because it cost about $30 to replace. Seemed expensive for a plastic cap. Anyway this seems like a stupid question but here goes. What is going on here? I never expected the cap to wear out once but it has happened twice. Thanks

/ Fuel cap #2  
Sounds like it screws down so far that it screws past the available threads. Check inside the cap and see if there should be a grommet or seal where the cap contacts the uppermost part of the filler neck. Maybe it would be possible to add something in the gap to make it so it doesn't screw down so far. Just a thought...

/ Fuel cap
I had already thought of that. It doesn't seem to be the problem. The problem seems to be that the diameter of the fuel cap is too big. Why would it get bigger? Does anyone else have this problem? or an alternate third party fuel cap that would work? Thanks

/ Fuel cap
I think I've figured out what is going on. Kenmissouri in another post http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/76867-kubota-b2400-starter-fix-fuel.html said this:

"One other small thing is that if you ever need a new fuel cap beware. The tank and fuel cap had a design problem where both swelled from the fuel. Thus a brand new cap of the original part variety won't go on. Kubota makes a special cap that is about 1/16" larger in diameter."

I was looking at the parts manual for the B2400HSD. It lists two different fuel caps. I've been buying the one (part number 6A100-54910) which dealers list for the B2400 and other B series tractors. I have a B2400HSD. Kenmissouri's comment leads me to believe it is the larger sized one. I recently bought the other one (part number 6A100-54920) which is listed for B7000 series tractors. It is a nice tight fit. (And it's $10 cheaper). It's the one I need. I'll update this post with further observations. If I have not posted any updates assume the fuel cap is working well.

For now the fuel cap is nice and tight and working well.