Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy?

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
What is the consensus about tractors with turbos? I tend to be a little cynical about turbos on tractors :confused: ... but they can be fun in fast cars :thumbsup:.

The preference is for a tractor with at least 48 HP to the PTO.

Are turbo charged tractors less reliable and expensive to maintain? I expect to use dealer service departments except for fluids and filters which I will do on property (home). My preference is to buy used (less than 400 hours) and find a great buy/price from a seller with tractor, implements, appropriate trailer, etc. I am flexible, but this approach seems to be a good opportunity, or I will buy from the rental fleet of a great Kubota dealer and servicer here in North Texas.

I can shorten this to say that I like the M6040 HST, M7040 HST and M59, but they are quite heavy and large for working relatively close to the landscaped areas, animals, barn, out buildings, and homes on our property. I have noticed that I could buy a slightly smaller/lighter turbo charged tractor (Grand L40 series) or a slightly larger/heavier M series.

After spending 40 hours at night reading reading the TBN posts and spending untold hours looking at the wish books/catalogs, online classified ads ... I am ready to stop the fantasy, pull the trigger and buy our first tractor ... as the TBN gang says, I need seat time and decided it will be a Kubota. :drool: :drool:

Before describing our intended uses, animals, land, hobbies, construction projects, etc ... let me be honest (with myself) and say that our needs are modest, my ambitions/desires large, and we can generally hire out most of anything. We live on 12 acres with a desire to expand to 30-40 acres. Today, if I had to admit, this tractor will be a want a little more than need. But, I like projects, tools, material handling, and to stay busy improving the property (construction projects) and working with the land (for the "hobby" animals).

I appreciate the opinions of the TBN members. Thanks so much.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #2  
What is the consensus about tractors with turbos? I tend to be a little cynical about turbos on tractors :confused: ... but they can be fun in fast cars :thumbsup:.

The preference is for a tractor with at least 48 HP to the PTO.

Are turbo charged tractors less reliable and expensive to maintain? I expect to use dealer service departments except for fluids and filters which I will do on property (home). My preference is to buy used (less than 400 hours) and find a great buy/price from a seller with tractor, implements, appropriate trailer, etc. I am flexible, but this approach seems to be a good opportunity, or I will buy from the rental fleet of a great Kubota dealer and servicer here in North Texas.

I can shorten this to say that I like the M6040 HST, M7040 HST and M59, but they are quite heavy and large for working relatively close to the landscaped areas, animals, barn, out buildings, and homes on our property. I have noticed that I could buy a slightly smaller/lighter turbo charged tractor (Grand L40 series) or a slightly larger/heavier M series.

After spending 40 hours at night reading reading the TBN posts and spending untold hours looking at the wish books/catalogs, online classified ads ... I am ready to stop the fantasy, pull the trigger and buy our first tractor ... as the TBN gang says, I need seat time and decided it will be a Kubota. :drool: :drool:

Before describing our intended uses, animals, land, hobbies, construction projects, etc ... let me be honest (with myself) and say that our needs are modest, my ambitions/desires large, and we can generally hire out most of anything. We live on 12 acres with a desire to expand to 30-40 acres. Today, if I had to admit, this tractor will be a want a little more than need. But, I like projects, tools, material handling, and to stay busy improving the property (construction projects) and working with the land (for the "hobby" animals).

I appreciate the opinions of the TBN members. Thanks so much.

you have no need to be concerned with turbos on these newer tractors. my tractor is the size your looking for(47 pto hp) and it's a turbo, no problems whatsoever. in fact, i can't even hear the turbo(which takes the cool factor out of having a turbo). the main thing you have to remember is when you start it up, let the tractor warm up for a few mins, and when you shut it off, let it idle for about a min or two to let the turbo cool before shutting off. if you ever stall the tractor while working, crank it up again as soon as possible.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #3  
Turbos are with proper care absolutely no trouble at all. All most every engine I own and operate which is many has a turbo and can't recall ever when a turbo has failed or caused anything else to fail.
Have no fear:thumbsup::D:licking:

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #4  
Turbo's probably work better in the narrow RPM range of most tractors as compared to the wide bands on cars.:confused:

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #5  
Also, if the engine is a diesel... My understanding is that diesel exhaust is quite a bit cooler than a gas engine's, which aids in turbo life.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #6  
If you go with a turbo, run synthetic oil in the engine. It will withstand the extra heat of a turbo better than dino oil.

Aaron Z

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #7  
The advantage with a turbo is when the tractor engine hits a heavy load the turbo will kick in. The turbo will pull the tractor through stuff that would bog down a normally aspirated motor. Some of us need this extra turbo boost and some of us don't. Depends how we use the tractor. The turbo's today are as reliable as the motor itself. If I had a choice between a turbo and non-turbo tractor for the same price I wouldn't hesitate to go with the turbo. The only thing negative I have ever heard concerning a turbo is if a hydraulic line breaks and the oil hits the hot turbo housing it will cause a fire.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #8  
Turbo boosted engines do not weaken at higher altitudes like a non turbo boosted engine.
larry

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #9  
We have 2 tractors with Turbos, a Case IH 5140 with a 6cyl. Cummins and IH 686 with an aftermarket M&W Turbo on it's D312 German made 6cyl. You actually hear the turbo on 686 but not on the 5140. The 686 went from 66hp at the PTO to 106hp, it's been dyno tested. It's also straight piped and has over 4000hrs on it and it's never gave a problem, although IMO hearing protection is required ;-) It has a separate oil filter just for the turbo. I wouldn't be a bit afraid of turbo on diesel.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #10  
If you go with a turbo, run synthetic oil in the engine. It will withstand the extra heat of a turbo better than dino oil.

Aaron Z

Not arguing that synthetic is not great stuff but my wife has never ran anything but CaseIH No.1 Engine oil 15W40 in the Diesel tractors and it's always been fine. Straight 30 in the IH 140 and the Farmall Super H.