gravel driveway maintenance

/ gravel driveway maintenance #1  

apease

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I thought I'd share a little writeup I did on maintaining my gravel driveway. Driveway

Before...and after

Attachments

• DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,033
   / gravel driveway maintenance #3  
Very good job.

/ gravel driveway maintenance #4  
Looks great...Thank you for sharing the pics too.

Don

/ gravel driveway maintenance #5  
This is cool. Thanks. And I know what you mean about the putting the 3 point hitch on. I remember scratching my head a bit the first time I put mine on.

/ gravel driveway maintenance #6  
Did you add more gravel, or is that what was already there? It looks great!

/ gravel driveway maintenance
rmasonjr - Fortunately, I didn't have to add new gravel, although I think that would make it come out even better, and I might do that in future years. Over time I suspect gravel will spread out to the sides of the driveway and I'll need to build it up by adding more. But I'm fortunate that the previous owner put down a huge amount of gravel to be begin with.

/ gravel driveway maintenance #8  
Something about groom/updated driveway gives it that extra...country look,well done job. :)

/ gravel driveway maintenance #9  
Great writup!

I have a relatively long (1/2 mile) gravel driveway to maintain and I've tried a few methods with varying degrees of success. I have never used a box blade though. Here's my thoughts:

ATV with DR Power grader...it works, but is not ideal for longer driveways or ones that need to be rehabilitated. It doesn't break up hard pack well, probably due to it's relatively light weight. It takes a large amount of passes to get the job done. Overall OK, but for the money, if you have a tractor...I'd go with it.

Tractor with 4' LandPride grading scraper....effectively does the same thing as the DR power grader, but much, much more effective. It has aggressive scarifying teeth than can be adjusted to rip up the surface (if necessary) and is has a few cutting blades that allow the churned up material to flow out of the "box" and lay smooth. Overall, a good tool. Takes about 5 or so passes to finish the job.

Tractor with 5' Harley Rake....awesome. I rented a 4400 with the harley rake to rehab my lawn...when I was done I decided to give it a try on the driveway. In two passes, it was totally smoothed out, "de-pot holed" and smooth. I can't say enough about how well this unit worked. I just wish they didn't cost 8K. I might try to find a used one.

-Mark

/ gravel driveway maintenance #10  
nice job!

a little tip with BX 3 pt hitch. the pin with clip that goes underneath the seperating bar, I removed mine and threaded the hole and used a bolt from top instead. no more fumbling and losing the clip in grass. Also I hook the top link arms last. I see you hooked yours first then bottom seperating bar.