BX 1860 starts rough

/ BX 1860 starts rough
Thanks guys, I just went out and gave it a little more throttle, and gave it an 8 count and the result was much better. I work outside most of the year, I guess 40 is warm to me, not so much for the BX. As it turns out my guess for 1/4 throttle was 1600 rpm at start. I'll do it this way consistently, and what is the additive? Be as specific as you can if you don't mind, i'm real new at this diesel thing.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #12  
1600 is plenty fast, imo. YMMV

The additives are legion and you will get a ton of advice on this. I simply pick up the white bottle at WalMart and everywhere, everywhere else. $8 buys a good sized bottle Power Service.

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

BTW, a splash means just that. A shot glass to my 2 1/2 gallon fuel can. The old saying, if some is good, more is better? Not in this case.

/ BX 1860 starts rough
thanks bp, appreciate it.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #14  
1600 is plenty fast, imo. YMMV

The additives are legion and you will get a ton of advice on this. I simply pick up the white bottle at WalMart and everywhere, everywhere else. $8 buys a good sized bottle Power Service.

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

BTW, a splash means just that. A shot glass to my 2 1/2 gallon fuel can. The old saying, if some is good, more is better? Not in this case.

And I have been using the Howes product:cool:

/ BX 1860 starts rough #15  
I also use that Power Service additive bp fick mentioned. The white bottle to the left in that picture is the cold weather stuff. Their website says about it: "This is the product of choice for optimal winter operation." I keep a plastic measuring cup in a zip lock bag to keep dust and dirt out and mix it right in the tank. The directions say you can add more (double I think) for really cold weather use.

/ BX 1860 starts rough
By the way, anyone still wondering about this? I doubled my preheat count to eight to ten, and the engine starts right up, nice and smooth, like it should. Thanks to all for the advice. Never had a diesel before, so what is obvious to others is news to me. Thanks again......

/ BX 1860 starts rough #17  
By the way, anyone still wondering about this? I doubled my preheat count to eight to ten, and the engine starts right up, nice and smooth, like it should. Thanks to all for the advice. Never had a diesel before, so what is obvious to others is news to me. Thanks again......

My dealer put a bug in my ear, when demonstrating the 1860, when I was buying. It was he who recommend the 8-10 count. In the early days, I would sometimes rush that and got the rough results, like you did. I quickly quit rushing. It may be more unique to these D722 engines, I don't know, but if you glow for a full 8 counts, it roars to life IMMEDIATELY with no smoke, no nothin'. I'm talking the very first revolution. Sweet!

/ BX 1860 starts rough #18  

An 8 count is about 4 seconds or right on with the manual!!!:thumbsup:

/ BX 1860 starts rough #19  
I'm a Ford guy and have a glow plug indicator on the dash. It takes a full 20-25 seconds for it to glow red telling me to go ahead and start it.

Even when fairly warm outside, I'll hit the plugs until it glows and have never had a problem starting.

I think you are on the right track about giving the glow plugs more time.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #20  
I use a kerosene salamander for
my equipment(gas engines) when its cold,
or from being left overnight
I plug in the block heater for my truck
even during the warm months.

leonz:thumbsup: