Brake adjustments?

/ Brake adjustments? #1  

vwkismet

So my brakes did not work at all on my new to me B7800. Fortunately that was a quick fix with the brake adjustment described in the manual. But, even after adjustment I have a couple questions.

First, how can you tell if the brakes are fully disengaged? Even when the pedal is full up I barely roll forward on a hill. Is that a problem? Should I back them off a bit?

Second, the pedals don't want to pop back up much on their own. To get them all the way up I have to actually reach down and pull them back up. I see some springs under there - should I be looking to replace something to help pull those pedals solidly back up? The rear brake mechanisms themselves seem pretty tight so it could just be that the springs don't have enough oomph to move them. Something else to adjust?

Thanks in advance!

/ Brake adjustments? #2  
I assume your 7800 is an HST like mine. If so, the HST holds the tractor in positon even on small hills. If you want to explore wheter this is the brakes that are too tight or just the HST, try putting the selector in neutral and see if it rolls forward on a small hill.

I have never had a problem with the brake pedal returning to the fully disengaged position, nor have I ever seen anything in the manual about lubricating the brake pedal attachmentment locations. When you have to lift the pedal, is it tight or loose. If tight, maybe it needs lubrication. If it is loose, maybe it is the adjustment - maybe you adjusted it too tight?

Its a great tractor. Mine has been flawless in the six years I have had it with just routine maintanence.

/ Brake adjustments?
Duh. :mur: I was too stupid to it try neutral! Thanks for the advice.

The pedal is not tight and I can easily just lift it right back up after depressing it and I adjusted the amount of play per the manual. I just thought maybe the springs were shot because prior to adjustment the pedal travelled all the way to floor so they were really getting a workout.

/ Brake adjustments? #4  
Duh. :mur: I was too stupid to it try neutral! Thanks for the advice.

The pedal is not tight and I can easily just lift it right back up after depressing it and I adjusted the amount of play per the manual. I just thought maybe the springs were shot because prior to adjustment the pedal travelled all the way to floor so they were really getting a workout.

The springs may be shot. The petals should return to full up with out lifting them. The brake linkage on the B7800 is pretty basic as is the rest of this tractor. Maybe a couple shots of oil. These are very good tractors. One of Kubota's best sellers for years. I am very pleased with mine.