Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems?

/ Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems? #1  

JRVet

I just changed the transmission fluid and filters on my L3400 HST per the 50 hr requirement as stated in the manual. I removed approximately 5.5-6 gallons and the manual calls for 6.2 gallons. I added 5 gallons and then started to monitor the level in the bullseye, but I never saw a level and stopped adding fluid once 6.5 gallons were added. I then started the tractor and let the system circulate and it appears that the fluid level is above the bullseye. Will too much fluid cause any problems? Is there another way to check the level? If I need to remove the excess fluid, is there an easier way then fighting to control the flow with the large drain plugs? I thought about hand pumping the excess fluid out of the fill location behind the seat??? Thanks for the help in advance.

/ Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems? #2  
A number of ways to draw off a quart or whatever you need. Pump it out, siphon, drain.

The main thing is yes. Overfilling is problematic, big time. Foaming and expansion. Big trouble. You know what you gotta do.:thumbsup:

/ Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems?
Thanks - I pumped it out with a hand pump to the correct level in the sight glass.

/ Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems? #4  
Good job. Many a wife has "donated" a turkey baster or two, all in the line of duty. :D

/ Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems? #5  
JRVet, The earlier L3400's had some pretty loud, unnerving, ratcheting PTO cams. Kubota's fix was raise the fluid level to submerge and quite the cams. I believe they added a filler extension (although it might have just been a dipstick) so an extra 7.4 quarts of oil would fit.

I'd bet you were fine at 6.5 gallons, so long as it didn't overflow. Although it's usually better to be safe than sorry.

/ Too Much Transmission Fluid - Problems? #6  
I have also an L3400 HST, Purchased new Christmas 2009. The date 09/18/2011 is this tractor's 50 hour first service. When purchasing the fluids and filters from my local dealer, He said L 3400 would require 7.1 to 7.3 to fill.
Having the 4WD HST the manual reads 6.1,My kindness didn't feel the need to point that out while I'm sure the mechanic knows. However The fluid that drained out equaled 7.2 (7 gallons 2 quarts). The new fluid super udt2 5 gallon can is what I used to store the old fluid plus two one gallon cans. These containers are full to the top plus the 2 quarts are in quart bottles.

In draining the fluid it was very clear and examining the HST filter's magnetic ring very little shavings of metal. Its under warranty still is there any recommendations or worries anyone can point out. I only put back in what the manual says. The sight glass or bulls eye with the clear fluid is next to useless
I mean 3 sets of eyes young next to my old eyes a magnify glass and flash light and I still couldn't honestly tell our lord if I can see what I think I barely make out. I will park the tractor on an incline to see if I can train my eye. 09/20/2011 Thanks :(