Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck)

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #1  

newdeal

Silver Member
So I have a 60" deck and I was cutting the grass and hit a bit of a rock, looking at the blade it looked ok except the tip was dinged and chipped a bit on one blade. I decided to take it off and take it to my dealer to have them look at it because I didn't know if I could grind it down or if I needed to replace it. We put it against a brand new blade and it seemed like it wasn't completely flat and so we figured it would be safer to replace the blade in case it bent rather than risk damaging the bearings from using a bent blade. I went to put the new blade back on and was just wondering if it matters how the blades are orientated compared to one another under the deck, I tried to make it look like how it looks in the manual but I didnt know if thats the right way or if there is a certain way to position them. Also I loostened the bolts with my impact wrench and they were very tight, I retightened them with my impact again as I don't have a torque wrench and I was wondering should I get a torque wrench to be safe or should it be ok that I used the impact only

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #2  
There is no doubt a torque wrench is the proper way to go, but I never use one for things like that. When in doubt, I'll use a hand wrench, but I'm familiar enough with my impact wrench that I don't mind using just that. And yes, I know the experts will say that's the wrong way to do it, and I won't disagree.;)

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #3  
As far as orientation of the blades to each other, it doesn't matter since they are not timed blades that overlap. That said, I usually mount my center blade at 90* to the outer two, not that it has to be that way or that it even makes any difference - I honestly don't know.

And I use an impact wrench as well, even though I have a torque wrench, albeit an inexpensive one.

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #4  
I agree.... blade orientation doesn't matter, as it will change the first time the belt slips the slightest bit. As Bird says.... torque wrench is always the correct way, but I just use my impact gun.

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #5  
Its kinda like trying to line up the tire lettering to match on your truck. It will be off pretty shortly due to the difference slippage between the tires an the road surface.

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck)
thanks for the replies, I figured it didn't matter since they didn't overlap but I wasn't sure...this is my first tractor and so its a bit of a learning experiance but its also alot of fun

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #7  
Pretty much agree with everyone else. I use a torque wrench on just about everything, but lots of people have good results with an impact wrench or breaker bar.

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #8  
my 2 cents- when I put the blades on at 90 degrees from each other then go mowing, the blades were not in same position I was done mowing. The mowing doesnt seem to be affected in whatever position, the kubota decks doesnt needs to be in timed spin like the cheapo tractors I had in the past. I just quit worrying about it and just put the blades on whatever way it makes me feel comfortable. LOL.:laughing:

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #9  
I figure if alignment mattered, they should either use two bolts or a spline instead of a smooth spindle and one nut.

/ Does it matter what direction the blades are in? (60" mower deck) #10  
P3137397.jpg

I doubt they stay oriented like that very long.

I haven't bought a socket for the blade bolts. I just use a crescent wrench and a block of wood. Works fine.