hydrostatic heat and whine

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #1  

rick480

Bronze Member
I have just purchased a BX1860, had about 70 hours on it and was in great cosmetic shape. Everything seems to work fine, but the hyrostatic drive whines quite loudly, is that normal? Also it gets very hot after a hour of mowing, can't touch it. Is that normal? I have checked the fluid level and changed the filter.

Thanks for your help.

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #2  
I have just purchased a BX1860, had about 70 hours on it and was in great cosmetic shape. Everything seems to work fine, but the hyrostatic drive whines quite loudly, is that normal? Also it gets very hot after a hour of mowing, can't touch it. Is that normal? I have checked the fluid level and changed the filter.

Thanks for your help.

You've replaced HST makeup fluid with ????? Super UDT?
You have checked the little white cooling fan? All blades in tact?

/ hydrostatic heat and whine
The manual says to replace the filter and clean the screen at 50 hours, didn't know if that had been done so I changed the filter. Are you saying the original fluid is not Super UDT? When is it supposed to be replaced? Haven't seen a fan, have to look, can you tell me where it is located?

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #4  
Yes, the fluid is super udt and super udt is best for whine issues.
You used the correct Kubota filter, I assume? You cleaned the screen?

The white fan is located under your tractor. Imagine looking up, toward your seat in the back. It is in the front of the HST, pointing toward the engine.

DO NOT have your engine running when checking this fan.:D

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #5  
Someone may have done the 50 hour HST oil change with cheap oil. Sometimes the smaller tractors are sensitive and almost require the expensive SUDT. Fortunately, it does not have a large capacity. It should be running like a top at only 70 hours.

If the HST makes more noise when hot then the oil is suspect.

If the fan is OK it might be worth a try to replace the hydraulic oil with SUDT, change the filter (again), and clean the screen

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #6  
Agree with BP on whine possibly due to a lower grade hydraulic oil. Since you don't know if the fluid was changed or with what fluid if it was, I would do a full service on the HST - new fluid and filter. They all whine some, particularly if you're using it hard in high gear at low RPM. If the pump is not making enough pressure for whatever task you're doing, you'll get more whine.

What conditions are you mowing in and how fast? Any chance you're cutting thick, tall grass at a relatively fast speed in high range? Let us know how you make out.

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #7  
My boys and I are agreed. Let me tell you my story. Got a couple of them.

When they delivered my BX1860 it whined horribly!!! Dealer said I'd get used to it. No way. One day I found some drip marks on my shop floor. The value of parking your tractor on clean cement floor cannot be underestimated. Tracked down a finger lose hydro fitting. I was livid. That shouldn't have passed QC at Kubota. Anyhow, tightened it myself. I reported it to both Kubota and my dealer.

Noticeably quieter!!! Hurrah.

Fast forward to this early spring. I added a FEL to my tractor. I had to add about two quarts of fluid to bring it up to snuff. In the excitement, I forgot, (my bad), to pick up some SUDT when picking up the FEL. Grabbed some generic premium TSC fluid that "meets Kubota udt specs". Thought to myself, "it'll be ok, it's only a couple of quarts out of almost 4 gallons. WRONG!!! That son-of-a-gun foamed and whined like an over tired 3 year old. Dang it.

Stopped by Kubota, picked up 4 gallons of SUDT and changed the entire system out. Cleaned the screen too. You know what's next!! Silky smooth, quiet as ever can be expected, and no foam. Yup, big believer in SUDT. I'm good now for a couple hundred hours.

/ hydrostatic heat and whine
Just cutting fairly normal length dry grass in low range fairly slow at 1/2-3/4 throttle. I notice the whine most when going down the drive or road in high at top speed with the mower disengaged. Almost deafening. Then I noticed how hot the HST got and got concerned. I'll do a fluid change with Super UDT and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #9  
Just cutting fairly normal length dry grass in low range fairly slow at 1/2-3/4 throttle. I notice the whine most when going down the drive or road in high at top speed with the mower disengaged. Almost deafening. Then I noticed how hot the HST got and got concerned. I'll do a fluid change with Super UDT and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

And do check that fan!!!! If you've lost some blades, it will absolutely cause overheating!!!

/ hydrostatic heat and whine #10  
Have you checked the brakes to see if they are dragging?
How about the 3 PH lift if it is left in the up position(I know it is supposed to kick to neutral but a lot don't)it will get hot because it is bypassing through the relief valve. Just a few thoughts.