different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast

/ different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast #1  

shrekbelly

Silver Member
guys,

got a question about my bx2360. i played in the dirt last weekend, taking out seven inkberry bushes with my ratchet rake. the bx, even when ballasted is still a very light tractor. i've got turf tires on it and i had the slippies and lost traction a number of times.
am going to purchase a tiller, boxblade and landscape rake for more heavyduty dirt work.
am i nuts to think an ag or industrial tire might help? any thoughts or ideas?
thanks in advance, shrekbelly

/ different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast #2  
I went to ags over my ballasted turfs, with the ags I could do almost the same work in 2wd as I could in 4wd
the turfs have there purpose but heavy use in loose soil or mud isnt it......

/ different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast #3  
Use the boxblade with turfs as rear weight before you change tires.

/ different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast #4  
I have used turf, industrial and bar on BX and others, bar gave me better traction than industrial or turf doing "tractor stuff", but don't expect too much.

As John notes, added weight may very well give you the added traction you need without changing tires. I have tractors with industrial as well as ag/bar and often times still wind up spinning them doing FEL work.

/ different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast #5  
I have the bar type tires on my BX1850 and with the box blade it will still spin well before running out of power on grass and nothing short or steel wheels or chains is going to give you more traction.

In mud and dirt I can make it grunt and have stalled the tranny a couple of times especially when digging and lifting with the FEL.

I agree try some weight first and then decide.

Roy

/ different tires or 300 to 400 lbs. ballast #6  
I had loaded turfs on my 1860 and switched to R-4, the treads don't pack full of wet sand, so they might actually dig faster! Both were used with 350 lbs or so on the back. I have not noticed a huge difference yet. It seems to me, at least where I live the ground material dictates traction more than the tire. We have sand/gravel, I assume that in clay, or something greasy like that it might be noticable. I've heard turfs are better than R-4 on ice and snow. I will be keeping the turfs for this winter just in case.