3-Point Hitch Rotary Cutter

/ Rotary Cutter #1  

Richgvt

Tractor
Kubota BX23
I was buying a 40" Tebben Rotary Cutter but when I went to look at it I found out it is 48". The manual doesn't cover this model but a similar 48" is 430 lbs. I have a bx23. They recommend 42" and the manual specs says not to exceed 300lbs on the 3 pt htch. Not sure I am reading the specs right. So do you think this will work on my tractor? I bought it figuring I can resell it if it is too big. Paid $300 which seems reasonable. Looks to be in good condition. The model is Tebben tc96-400.

/ Rotary Cutter
I did a search and it seems that the 48" will work ok. The one I bought is the economy line so maybe it is a little lighter. Seemed to be very heavy duty to me.

/ Rotary Cutter #4  
I use a Land Pride 48" on my BX2660; pretty much the same tractor as the 2360. My manual also says don't go above 42".

/ Rotary Cutter
I guess Kubota is leaning on the conservative side as they should. If they said 48" everyone would go to the 5 foot size. I will pick up the cutter this weekend. Never took off the backhoe before. Previous owner never did either. The three point hitch is in the box and never used. I assumed with the weight of the cutter that I would need the FEL on for balance.

/ Rotary Cutter #6  
I guess Kubota is leaning on the conservative side as they should. If they said 48" everyone would go to the 5 foot size. I will pick up the cutter this weekend. Never took off the backhoe before. Previous owner never did either. The three point hitch is in the box and never used. I assumed with the weight of the cutter that I would need the FEL on for balance.

I don't have a problem with mine without the FEL, but my cutter may be lighter than yours and you might want to hang some weight on the front.

/ Rotary Cutter #7  
Wow, I've been running a 5 foot Rhino for a couple of years now on my Bx2230. It's left over from a previous tractor. Not surprising, the front end is rather light even with the FEL. I need to get a lighter unit I know, but I'm still trying to figure out if I can go with a finish mower rather than a rough cut. To get back on point, I can't imagine a 48" would be a problem.

/ Rotary Cutter #8  
My Land Pride RCR1548 weighs 424 pounds.

/ Rotary Cutter #9  
You can find literally hundreds of posts on this subject in the archives. Search for BX with any of the following terms in this forum: rotary cutter, rough cutter, brush hog. That would give you three searches to do. I have a Gearmore 40" heavy duty rotary cutter that I use with my BX2200. It will cut sapplings almost 3" in dia. I believe it is the only heavy duty RC in the 36" to 48" size. The others are light or medium duty, yet I have heard of many of them being able to cut sapplings. If you only need to cut tall thick grass and weeds, then a medium duty 48" unit absolutely and without question will do fine.

The BX can lift far more weight than is listed for a rotary cutter in the manual. A brush hog extends out a great distance and can generate great leverage if you drive fast over uneven terrain. These G-forces can damage the 3ph and exert strain on the hydraulics if someone drives this way and abuses the tractor. No max. weight is listed for things that are used in stationary position, such as PHD, generator, log splitter, etc., because you do not use them while moving. You could lift a 600 lb. rotary cutter with no problem, but as that approaches the max. liftable weight, if one were to drive fast, perpendicularly over furrows, he could damage the tractor due to the tremendous strain created by the bouncing, especially if he hits the right resonant frequency, aka. harmonic. Kubota rightly does not want to be liable for warranty repairs if the tractor is so abused, and therefore the weight limits listed protect them. You can easily exceed these weight listings as long as you do not abuse the tractor in the manner I have described.

/ Rotary Cutter #10  
If you decide you don't want it let me know and I'll take it off your hands. I'm in northern VT btw.