fuel additives

/ fuel additives #1  

jim442

Bronze Member
Tractor
1947 John Deere A / B2920
Anyone have any thoughts/cautions about using diesel fuel additives in tractors? My manual make no mention either way, I am thinking primarily for injection pump lube with the low sulfur diesel and cetane boost.

/ fuel additives #3  
I assume if it doesn't mention it, you don't need it, so I don't use any in my Kubota when using #2 diesel. I realize that a lot of former snake oil salesman have created a cottage industry out diesel additive products and extol their alleged virtues (e.g., better mileage, runs quieter, engine lasts longer, will grow hair if you rub a little on your bald head, etc.). You will find a lot of people who swear by diesel additives - apparently they have been hoodwinked by the additive claims. I suppose using it won't hurt your engine.

I use straight #1 diesel in the winter because it gets quite cold here. #1 has very little lubricating paraffin, so I use a lubricating additive with a low pour point when using #1 - Opti-Lube XPD. It is probably unnecessary, but even some diesel fuel manufacturers recommend it (Exxon, amongst others) which is why I use it with #1 diesel.

/ fuel additives #4  
Only in the winter to keep the fuel thin...pretty sure we use Stanadyne.

/ fuel additives #5  
Stanadyne Performance Formula. I've also used it for years in my diesel powered truck.

/ fuel additives #6  
You will find a lot of people who swear by diesel additives - apparently they have been hoodwinked by the additive claims.

I have not been hoodwinked by additive claims but like many people with little or no mechanical experience or diesel engine background some claim all additives are snake oil. Some might be but all are not.

I use Stanadyne Performance Formula in my Ford Superduty Diesel and in the winter I also use Stanadyne Performance Formula in my diesel tractor. The temps get down to -25 degrees F on occasion and regularly down below zero where I live and it is cheap insurance. I've had 6 inches of snow fall on the 15th of June and when many have had problems with fuel gelling I have had none.

Jim

/ fuel additives #7  
Stanadyne fuel conditioner works and is not a snake oil. Some conditioner is a must with todays diesel.

/ fuel additives #8  
My friend's a petroleum engineer for the BP research facility just down the street. They drive dozens of cars constantly testing different additives, both their own and others. He says they have tested every additive there is for both gas and diesel on test stands and the street and have never been able to demonstrate any meaningful benefits from what you buy in the store. Their motivation is selfish, if they found something that worked they would add it themselves so they could advertise how great it is.

It is true with diesel in cold climates that if you are trying to use the summer blend you might need to add something for gelling.

He also told me something surprising, which is that all regular grade gas comes from the same pipeline for all the retailers. So it doesn't matter where you buy regular grade gas, you're getting the exact same thing. It's only the midrange and higher fuel grades that contain the brand specific additives. At least that's true in the Chicago area, not sure that's true everywhere.

/ fuel additives #9  
I use SeaFoam as a diesel fuel preservative, but only b/c I don't use my tractor much in the summer and may have the same fuel in the tank until the following winter. SeaFoam seems to be well regarded, and claims other benefits aside from being a preservative.

/ fuel additives #10  
My friend's a petroleum engineer for the BP research facility just down the street. They drive dozens of cars constantly testing different additives, both their own and others. He says they have tested every additive there is for both gas and diesel on test stands and the street and have never been able to demonstrate any meaningful benefits from what you buy in the store.

A lot has to do when the BP Engineers run those tests and in which vehicles. Sulfur used to be the main lubricant in the old diesel fuels. When they reduced the amount of sulfur in the diesel fuel many components that were lubricated by the diesel fuel started to wear out such as the Diesel Fuel Injection Pump. Stanadyne, the manufacturer of many pumps, developed a lubricant to offset the lack of diesel fuel lubricant. The 7.3 and 6.9 Liter IDI Diesel Engines used in the early Ford Diesel Pickup Trucks was one of the reasons that I started using Stanadyne Performance Formula year around as years ago I had those engines and saw the wear when I overhauled the Diesel Fuel Injection Pump of my 89 7.3 Liter IDI Diesel Engines. The wear was never seen during prior tear-downs.

Regarding additives there was a time when certain Lycoming Engines such as the HIO360D1A were experiencing major Camshaft wear. The oil company engineers stated that it was not a fault of their lubricants. I had those engines in my small training helicopters and upon tearing down my engines the wear was significant enough that I started using a 6oz container of Lycoming P/N LW-16702 Oil Additive, an anti-wear additive in the oil in accordance with the just released Lycoming Service Information Notice 1409A. Shortly after most oils contained that additive.

From my personal experience I agree that there are a lot of snake oils out on the marketplace but certain additives are necessary if used correctly.

To each his own,
Jim