Silver Member

Default BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the.....

Here's my story. I'm reading the forums and one was about how to check fluids when you get your tractor home from the dealer. So, after work today I get home and decide to check the front case oil and it's low. It's so low that nothing is registering on the dip stick nor on my picky when I stick it in. I have 56 hours on the tractor and apparantley have been using it like this the whole time. Here is my question. The manual says to use SUDT or SAE 80- SAE 90 Gear Oil. The closest kubota dealer is over 30 min away but the closest Tractor Supply is 10 min. I bought SAE 80W-90 Multipurpose Gear Lubrication. Are those two the same thing? What little I drained from the front case seamed like the same consistency. Even if it's not the same, it can't be worse using it than the way it was i figure. Thanks for reading. Scott

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the.....

You will like using gear lube in your front axle. It is equally preferred as sudt or udt by your manual. No, it isn't the same, but works as well, and better in the eyes of many folks.

As for being low, yours seemed to be lower than most discussed here.
    Your case proves again the axiom, however, Check Your Fluids Regularly.

Please don't take this the wrong way, for I mean no harm, but you didn't check that axle for 56 hours, which for many BX owners is often a year. Secondly, spend a little time with your manual about these issues. It's light night time reading.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Silver Member

Thx BP. I am going to memoriz that manual.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by sxs191 View Post
    Thx BP. I am going to memoriz that manual.
    BP is right..I check the fluids in mine every couple of weeks...The hydro will drop from taking the FEL and BH off and on. Sometimes the drop appears sudden, but not drastic....Just keep watching, you'll be fine.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B 2320

After going through a similar thing, luckily fewer hours, I check mine at every use. Only takes a minute or so. Since the initial issue, nothing has been low. One question on the engine oil, mine has read consistently 1/8" under the top knotch in the acceptable area, I didn't figure that would be considered low?

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by poldies4 View Post
    After going through a similar thing, luckily fewer hours, I check mine at every use. Only takes a minute or so. Since the initial issue, nothing has been low. One question on the engine oil, mine has read consistently 1/8" under the top knotch in the acceptable area, I didn't figure that would be considered low?
    On engine oil, between the low and high marks is considered fine, not low. I tend to keep mine close to the full mark because mine holds very little oil to begin with.

Silver Member

I noticed the manual said the front case takes 5 quarts but I was at full after 4.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by sxs191 View Post
    I noticed the manual said the front case takes 5 quarts but I was at full after 4.
    These are hard to drain completely, especially if you don't "port" the air vents over each hub.

Likewise, it is impossible, in my view, to fill them in one sitting. Gotta run it in 4 wheel and generally use it for a week or two. Check again. Run some more, check again. Nature of these lil beasties.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Silver Member

Thanks for the info.