BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the.....

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #1  

sxs191

Silver Member
Here's my story. I'm reading the forums and one was about how to check fluids when you get your tractor home from the dealer. So, after work today I get home and decide to check the front case oil and it's low. It's so low that nothing is registering on the dip stick nor on my picky when I stick it in. I have 56 hours on the tractor and apparantley have been using it like this the whole time. Here is my question. The manual says to use SUDT or SAE 80- SAE 90 Gear Oil. The closest Kubota dealer is over 30 min away but the closest Tractor Supply is 10 min. I bought SAE 80W-90 Multipurpose Gear Lubrication. Are those two the same thing? What little I drained from the front case seamed like the same consistency. Even if it's not the same, it can't be worse using it than the way it was i figure. Thanks for reading. Scott

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #2  
You will like using gear lube in your front axle. It is equally preferred as sudt or udt by your manual. No, it isn't the same, but works as well, and better in the eyes of many folks.

As for being low, yours seemed to be lower than most discussed here.
Your case proves again the axiom, however, Check Your Fluids Regularly.

Please don't take this the wrong way, for I mean no harm, but you didn't check that axle for 56 hours, which for many BX owners is often a year. Secondly, spend a little time with your manual about these issues. It's light night time reading.:)

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the.....
Thx BP. I am going to memoriz that manual. :thumbsup:

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #4  
Thx BP. I am going to memoriz that manual. :thumbsup:

BP is right..I check the fluids in mine every couple of weeks...The hydro will drop from taking the FEL and BH off and on. Sometimes the drop appears sudden, but not drastic....Just keep watching, you'll be fine.

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #5  
After going through a similar thing, luckily fewer hours, I check mine at every use. Only takes a minute or so. Since the initial issue, nothing has been low. One question on the engine oil, mine has read consistently 1/8" under the top knotch in the acceptable area, I didn't figure that would be considered low?

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #6  
After going through a similar thing, luckily fewer hours, I check mine at every use. Only takes a minute or so. Since the initial issue, nothing has been low. One question on the engine oil, mine has read consistently 1/8" under the top knotch in the acceptable area, I didn't figure that would be considered low?

On engine oil, between the low and high marks is considered fine, not low. I tend to keep mine close to the full mark because mine holds very little oil to begin with.

I noticed the manual said the front case takes 5 quarts but I was at full after 4.

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #8  
I noticed the manual said the front case takes 5 quarts but I was at full after 4.

These are hard to drain completely, especially if you don't "port" the air vents over each hub.

Likewise, it is impossible, in my view, to fill them in one sitting. Gotta run it in 4 wheel and generally use it for a week or two. Check again. Run some more, check again. Nature of these lil beasties.

Thanks for the info.

/ BX25 Front Case Oil low. What the..... #10  
Noticed mine ws low as well while basically doing full overhaul on the tractor... dismantle dang near entire tractor to get to 1 o-ring off the hydraulic pump... anyways agree with BP and also I've heard that if you leave your breather ports/dipsick port open and let it sit for w4 hours the oil will work itself in a bit faster (def works on bigger machines need to test more with bx)

Also CHECK TIRE PRESSURE literally BEFORE EVERY USE. Front tires especially. I'm so fed up with front Tire flats on mine they currently at the shop getting foam filled. If you for whatever reason bend/dent a wheel and go with tubes this is especially important. If your using the FEL with heavy loads, pay close attention to what your driving over/scraping up against with those front tires. The seam at the bead may as well be made from Elmer's glue IMO. I actually swapped my front tires around so valve stem is on inside since I tend to scrap outside of tires alot so that I'd quit ripping the stem off on things