Mixing hydraulic oils from implement

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I borrow my neighbor's post pounder, it has long hoses and a fair sized cylinder on it, so it holds a good bit of hydraulic fluid. He has one of those funny green colored tractors so he uses different hydraulic oil. Should I be worried about mixing whatever hydraulic oil green tractors use with my orange tractor oil when I use his pounder? I was thinking I could hook up the supply side to the pounder and cycle it while I collect the output of the return side in a clean bucket, that would allow orange tractor oil to displace green tractor oil. Or am I being too ****...

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #2  
I would not mix them myself, but admit I am no expert on this. Some have reported foaming and the need to replace the whole fluid supply when they were mixed.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #3  
Don't even think about mixing hydraulic oils, you don't have a clue how they will react. You could be making rubber and clog the whole system, melt the seals..........

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #4  
Also who knows who has used it before.
Dirt, water, no telling what kind of crud is in there.
I'm looking for a PTO pump for times like that.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #5  
I had a Kubota 3710 GST. Asked kubota dealer when I changed the tranny oil could I use JD oil because I had another JD tractor. He said no problem. I used JD oil in the Kubota. We have JD and Case-IH ag tractors. Also have a Bobcat skid steer. Occassionally need to use different implement and attachments. I never worry about the minimal mixing of oils because of different cylinders or pumps. Tranny oil is not magic. Yes, it is nice to use all one type of oil but in many instances, it just isn't possible or practical.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #6  
I had a Kubota 3710 GST. Asked kubota dealer when I changed the tranny oil could I use JD oil because I had another JD tractor. He said no problem. I used JD oil in the Kubota. We have JD and Case-IH ag tractors. Also have a Bobcat skid steer. Occassionally need to use different implement and attachments. I never worry about the minimal mixing of oils because of different cylinders or pumps. Tranny oil is not magic. Yes, it is nice to use all one type of oil but in many instances, it just isn't possible or practical.

That wasy nice, you were able to use one type since you were changing oil anyways.

As for OP, Normally I wouldnt mix the oils, Maybe you could ask your neighbor to see whaat kind of oil he uses and show you the can. Take a close look at the ratings and see if it the same as yours. chances are you may not want to do that and make an offer to change oil in his post pounder before use and use same oil as your tractor to be on safe side.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #7  
Wait a minute here, it is you neighbor's post pounder, not yours.

If he is nice enough to lend it to you, the whole basis for approach should be "Are you worried about my hydraulic oil contaminating your system? " This may be a subject he has never thought about, but the answer lies more in what he wants, not in what you want.

If he wants something you are not happy about, then you don't need to use his implement.

My own belief, based on the fact that major brands of tractor oil have a long list of compatible machines, is that there isn't any big deal with this. I was really worried, I might borrow the post hole pounder and then change my own oil after I had finished with it.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #8  

I have done the same and used Rotella, Case or NH etc. fluids in my Kubota and others, but never mixed brands such as a few quarts of one brand and then a few of another.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement #9  
Worst case is if owner B is using Bio Hydraulic Fluids in his tractor and implements. Bio Hydraulic Fluids is clogging over time is the saying around here, and can ruin the attachement if stored over some time, like the neighbours timber wagon with hydraulic crane/grip. Long hoses and many hoses are typical for these implements.

Solution idea to reduce the contaminations:
What I'm thinking of, is to design a portable hydraulic oil filtering unit, powered from a 230V electric motor driving a small hydraulic pump together with a self contained small reservoar and a tank return filter, 10µm inline spin-on filter like i.e. Baldwin BT366-10 or BT839-10.

In case, I can also use a gasoline powered electrical power generator delivering 230V.

/ Mixing hydraulic oils from implement
We talked this over, if the cylinder is in the down position it has almost no oil in it (it's one directional). That leaves the hoses which are about 10' long each. So when I attach it to my tractor I'm going to "bleed" a quart into a clean container by hooking up the supply side and cycling the cylinder, while discharging return side into the container. When I take it back he'll pour the oil into his tractor, bleed a quart back into the container (which is my oil), which I will pour back into my tractor. This discussion has given us an opportunity to sit around talking and drinking instead of doing any actual work, so at least it served some purpose.